Friday 26 February 2016

Post Long Ride Steep Hike Blues: Friday, February 26th!

The greatest happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved -- loved for ourselves, or rather, loved in spite of ourselves. -Victor Hugo, novelist and dramatist (26 Feb 1802-1885)


Buongiorno Boot Hiking Fiends! Fab outing yesterday so thanks, as always, to Boot Camp Al for another forced march over wonderful terrain! Enjoyed the company of the gazelle-like youngsters so thank you, Jana, for sharing their high spirits and boundless energy. As well, thanks so much, Lulu Lemon, for being such a gracious chauffeur. All the best to one and all. Cheers, Patrizzio!
Musings below, if interested.

Hi Guillermo Loco and Denise Dangereuse! Lady Dar said how much she had enjoyed chatting. Your cruise sounds wonderful. Nice life, indeed! I'm keen to read Red Notice, after what you mentioned but I'm sure we can find it here. However, if it's back when we visit, perhaps I'll snaggle it. Speaking of which, might you two be available for a java or a spot of lucn on Friday, March 11th. We'll be busy running errands of one sort or another but otherwise are not busy until that evening, attending some sessions at Cuffed. At any rate, let me know and we'll plan accordingly. As well, you would be more than welcome to join us at the Sevens. Mick Carter already has our tickets but give him a call, or Ted Keating, to find out where we are sitting. I'm sure you would be able to sit with us as I doubt that place will be sold out. Could also call ray banks as I don't believe he had his ticket last time we corresponded.

IWF snapola was great. We've always enjoyed Seghesio. You probably know their tasting room is right in Healdsburg. Saw all of the films mentioned at the local cinema, Landmark. Usually, quite a decent line-up. Must away as I'm off to ride, as is Lady Dar. She wants to explore the KVR here in town while I'm headed further afield. Let us know what you think about getting together on Friday. Fondestos from Mme Coriandre to you, Guillermo, and Dangereuse! Cheers, Patrizzio, Elite Cyclist, Food and Wine Critic for the Burns Street Gin Joint and Hot Sheets Hotel! Pic: Latest shots of duplex-in-progress next door! Lady Dar sunning herself yesterday aft!

Patizzio, Sounds good about Friday the 11th, we’ll make ourselves available that afternoon for either coffee or lunch with you. As regards the sevens I will look into the ticket situation and let you know. As a matter of fact I’ve never seen sevens played other than a snippet on TV -looked pretty exciting though. Just heading to The (Post) Mistress, a musical at the new BMO Theatre in the Olympic Village. cheers, Bill.

Set in the fictional Northern Ontario town of Lovely, The (Post) Mistress is a fun and quirky one-woman cabaret-style show, peppered with original music. Marie-Louise is the town’s postal worker. She is charismatic, effervescent, and seems to know everything about everyone in Lovely—and is eager to share all the gossip with the audience. But just as we begin to think we know Marie-Louise, her own story is revealed in a surprising turn. With a script by revered playwright Tomson Highway, this uniquely Canadian musical is full of character and charm. 

Hello Playgoers! I'm curious to know about both the new venue and the production. Didn't know about the former and had not heard of the latter. Let's try and arrange lunch somewhere. We can think about location over next little while. Sevens is magical. Exciting beyond belief! You must come!

Must away as Lady Dar is calling me for dinner: roast pork, baked Yukon spuds, green peas and a mixed, green saladin. Opened a very tasty 2014 Lake Breeze Pinot Gris, 13.5%. Might have to crack a red as we will be watching Steve Jobs, On Demand, as we dine. Another of Mme Coriandre's Oscar films:




Steve Jobs is a 2015 American biographical drama film directed by Danny Boyle and written by Aaron Sorkin. Based on the biography of the same name by Walter Isaacson, as well as interviews conducted by Sorkin, the film is structured into three acts which cover fourteen years (1984–1998) in the life of personal computing innovator and Apple Inc. co-founder Steve Jobs, with each act taking place immediately prior to the launch of a key product - the Apple Macintosh, the NeXT Computer and the iMac G3. Jobs is portrayed by Michael Fassbender, with Kate Winslet, Seth Rogen, Katherine Waterston, Michael Stuhlbarg and Jeff Daniels in supporting roles.         Take care of yourselves. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi James: Mme Coriandre suggested I let you know that I'll be attending Alive Inside this coming Tuesday, March 1st. She will be in Vancouver, leaving Sunday morning, by bus, and won't be back until Wednesday, so I'll be flying solo. Thanks again for pizza and film this past Tuesday. Really enjoyed both. Think the concept and  choice of films are terrific. Bravo! Thanks again. Will I see you on Monday's hike? I gather, from Aarturo, that yesterday's snow-shoeing outing was quite strenuous, even before you started! Cheers, Patrizzio! Thanks for letting me know, Patrick. I appreciate the notice! Cheers, Jim

[Alive Inside: A Story of Music and Memory is a 2014 American documentary film directed and produced by Michael Rossato-Bennett. The film deals with the subject of people suffering from Alzheimer's disease and how music therapy can help and ease their suffering.]

Didn't suit up until close to 1:00 pm. Before I left I pumped up Lady Dar's bike tires and put some oil on her gears and chain. She has not ridden her bike for some time but to my untutored eye, it seemed to be in reasonable nick. I only wanted to have a bit of a "stretch" ride after my 100+ km outing on Wednesday and the reasonably strenuous hike yesterday. My legs felt pretty good but I didn't feel up to many challenging hills so I decided I'd start out with my regualr loop along Lakeside/Riverside, doing a few extra dipsy-doodles there so that by the time I had done a loop of Middle Bench Rd I had about 18 km on the clock. Decided I'd scope out the shoulders on the way to Naramata. Wind was out of the North at about 6 kph so not really much of a factor but i decided I'd rather buck it on the outward leg of whatever ride I set upon, hence the reason I chose Naramatia!

In actual fact, the shoulders were not nearly as bad as I had expected them to be. Lulu Lemon had mentioned that they were awful when we chatted yesterday but their condition was not really any worse than those I've already encountered. While it was not as bright as it was for the last few days, I enjoyed the stillness of the lake's surface, mirroring the surrounding hills, while those beyond Naramata looked to have received a fresh coating of icing sugar. Zipped along and before I knew it I was at Robinson with just over 29 km on my odometre. This being the case, I made for the first cattle guard on the road to Chute Lake. Turned around here and started the return leg.

Wind was supposed to be at my back now but for much of the time, seemed as if it wasn't. Nevertheless, I plugged along and was treated to a magnificent expanse of gold, the sun's rays, not obscured by clouds, dappling the surface of the water. Had figured out the distance pretty accurately and pulled up to our back door with just over 52 km logged. 
 
Pleased at the distance, given the state of my tired legs but not overly impressed with the lacklustre AVG. Can't have everything I suppose. While I probably could have pushed myself harder, I was really just glad to be out, enjoying the day, the air and the sights. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1064778692#.VtD244OnmIA.email

Hi Lorenzo! We missed you at Good Omens but I understand completely. Trust you are feeling better today. Just back, about an hour ago, from a satisfying ride. Hope you recover completely over the weekend and that we'll see you on Monday. We are going to hear Laura Smith at The Dream Café tomorrow, with Josinta and Aarturo. I don't know her work but Aarturo does:

Laura's distinct singing voice has been a mainstay of the Canadian music scene for many decades now. Growing up in southern Ontario, she made the bold move to Cape Breton in the mid-80s where she found a vibrant music scene and the ability to artistically grow. She has remained in Nova Scotia ever since.

Take care of yourself. All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Lady Dar sunning herself in a sheltered corner of our back patio yesterday. Latest phase of construction on duplex going up next door. Shots taken earlier today.

Mayne Island: She is getting married in September, Noreen is going for the wedding   We've been here for three weeks now and love it.  the island is very small and quiet and the community is very involved.  we went to check out the annual christmas eve bonfire and carol-singing and took brody to the new year's polar swim.  so far we have painted brody's room and cleaned up a lot of the yard, which is half gardens/grass and half cedar/fir forest.  brody also got his first axe this christmas.  really looking forward to having everyone here to celebrate with us in september! sasha


No comments:

Post a Comment