Thursday 24 March 2016

Stump Splitting or Road Bike Blue Sky Blues: Thursday, March 24th!

Our homeland is the whole world. Our law is liberty. We have but one thought, revolution in our hearts. -Dario Fo, actor, playwright, theater director, Nobel laureate (b. 24 Mar 1926)


Sounds good. See you on Friday. I assume Orifino is open. Wayne     Hi Sarge! You raise a good point! In fact, Orofino isn't open until May! However, Lady Dar did a search of other wineries in Cawston and Corcelettes Estate Winery, (formerly Herder!), along with a number of others, is open. We visited it last Fall and enjoyed their offerings, the Menhir 2013 - Cabernet Sauvignon/Syrah, in particular, was a find. Pricey, $32.00, but when we had it this past December it was wonderful. According to their website:


[Two napping peas in a pod You've tired them both out! Love Mom]
 
Cabernet Sauvignon (60%) - Syrah (40%) Blend. Our flagship wine hails from the rocky soils of Middle Bench Vineyard in the Similkameen Valley. The nose of this wine is full of pipe tobacco, black cherry and dried herbs. The chewy, layered palate echoes those same tobacco and black cherry notes along with dark, ripe plum and coffee. The texture is rich and velvety, with a hint of slate minerality and a long, spicy finish.

Some time mid-morning, today, I'm going to give Orofino a call and ask them if they might be around on Friday and if so could we have a tasting sometime between 12-1:00 pm. I'll let you know what I find out but since Corcelettes is just down the road from Orofino we could meet at either place once we know about possibility of tasting at latter. Be in touch. Cheers, Patrizzio! I think if we called Orofino they would open for us if we gave them a time. Wayne


Headed to Osoyoos tomorrow for the weekend and was enquiringly if you were open yet. Wayne Hi Wayne. We are open all Easter weekend from noon until 5 each day. Hope we see you tomorrow! Cheers! John

Hi Hanneke! I plan to be on Monday's hike as well. For the Easter Weekend, we are spending Saturday and Sunday nights with friends at Spirit Ridge in Osoyoos. Originally, I was hoping to cycle back to Penticton, via Keremeos, on Easter Monday. Now, since learning that the hiking group is planning to trek The Golden Mile Trail, Cora Lee will drop me off at Tinhorn Creek, on her way home, that morning. I'm really looking forward to exploring this area. Happy Easter to you and Doug, from both of us. Cheers, Patrizzio!

PS: If you are out and about, you might see me on Eastside sometime today as I plan to ride to Blue Mountain and then loop around Stag's Hollow/Wild Goose before heading back to Penticton. 


Enjoy your day, Patrick! Happy Easter to you and Corinne. We are off to Edmonton    this afternoon.. See you Monday! Hanneke Travel safely! Bon Voyage!!! thank you, have a great weekend!


Hi Pearly White Knight, with very rusty armour! Thank you for such touching concern. Much appreciated, of course. I have always felt that my welfare, and that of others as inexperienced as I, has always been of paramount concern by everyone on every outing, waiting for me to catch up, helping as terrain demands, etc. I certainly don't wish to be a burden and I trust I'm not, at least not overly so, but I do feel very comfortable in the hands of this genuinely caring group. You and Josinta will certainly be sorely missed over the course of the next month, it goes without saying, you in particular, Pearly Whites, as I will now have to find another unfortunate individual to pick upon!
 

Will ride to Keremeos, via Green Mountain Road, on Good Friday, to meet friends at Corcelettes Estate Winery for some tasting there, and at any other wineries near-bye that might be open. Lady Dar will drive so that I can put my bike on rack for trip home. Haven't been back since we tasted with you and Jos after Orofino last Fall. Flamin' and Sarge will be driving up from Vancouver, en route to Spirit Ridge. I know you will be frantically busy with your offspring, Easter, and packing but it would have been wonderful if you could have joined me for that ride.

Friday evening The Naramatians, Lynne and Peter, have invited us to have dinner at the Penticton Golf Course, (Peter is a member there.), before we go to see the Vees in the 5th game of the playoffs against the West Kelowna Warriors. First hockey game here so looking forward to it. Saturday, I hope to ride to Osoyoos, via Black Sage Road, as far as it goes, while Mme Coriandre will drive, laden with food and drink, for Easter weekend. Too, too bad Jos can't join us as we will be playing quite a bit of bridge over the course of our stay and you could hike up Anarchist while we bid! In fact, I hope to try to ride up Anarchist on Sunday as I have always wanted to see if I could manage this pretty daunting climb. Wish me luck!

Please pass along best wishes to Bodil and Vincenzzzzzzzzo. Have yet to meet Barendt, (I apologize, in advance, if spelling is incorrect!), but say hello to him as well. Fondestos to you and Josinta from Lady Dar. We will try to give you a call,  at some point, over the next coming days, to say hello and goodbye, in person, and wish you Bon Voyage. Until we speak, enjoy the coming Easter weekend. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Marian and Tim! Trust all goes well before the start of the busy weekend. Yes, Marian, we do have tickets for the Jazz concert so we won't need you to hold any. Thanks for the thought, of course. Thanks, as well, Timothy, for the three snaps of me descending the Khumbu Stonefall, one with Sherpa Al. You managed to capture both my dread and relief! Much appreciated. Can't remember if you two are here for Easter. Fondestso from Lady Dar to you both. All the best until next we see each other. Happy Easter and enjoy the coming weekend. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick, Sounds like a full weekend! Family is arriving today for the long weekend and I am pouring cement before hand. Thus we will not be hiking with the group on Monday. We do, however, plan a few shorter hikes with the grandchildren. Good luck and we will see your soon. Cheers, Tim
Hi Brenda Louise! Lovely to hear from you. Sorry I've not been in touch sooner but life has been a whirlwind ever since our most successful trip to Vancouver. Friends, Jane and George, drove up on Monday and spent the next four nights with us. Lovely visit and now we are getting ready for the Easter weekend. Started this message this morning but it is now early afternoon as I wanted to listen to winner of Canada Reads. We just finished watching recorded episodes of The Book of Negroes. For that reason, I didn't think Laurence Hill would win this year's contest. Delighted that he did.]

Jo-Anne and Colin are off to Portugal tomorrow. Lady Dar is green with envy as she would like that country to be one of our next destinations! Tip is a lovely lady. Originally from Thailand, her husband, Jim, is there, teaching, at the university she once attended. Tip will fly there to meet him in early April. Fondestos from Lady Darjeeling to you, Wally and Picasso. Enjoy the coming Easter weekend. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi patrizzioconduttore! sounds great, she's looking forward to meeting you too : ) we will aim to be there between 4:30p and 5p. I'll have her share of the whisky Happy Easter to you, Corinne and Chloƫ Take care, VL

Dear Friends and Family! Peter Rabbit sends assurances to everyone for a Chocolate-filled Happy Easter, along with best wishes for Spring! 

By the time I'd spent the morning catching up on messaging and done a few chores, eaten a hearty brunch, it was almost 1:30 pm. Suited up and headed out, having decided to log my first 20 km or so having recourse to dipsy-doodleage on my two regular fallbacks, Lakeshore and environs and then Skaha LP. By the time I'd finished here I had just over 21 km on the clock so was pleased about that. Wind was quite fierce, out of the NW so it helped me along onway to OK Falls but I knew I'd have to pay the piper on return. 

Took McClean Creek Road and was delighted to see my first marmot of the spring, huge tail flapping behind its chunky body, dashing away, for cover, into the rocks of the wooded hills behind the first small ranch one encounters at the top of the climb up from Eastside. In the corral there, I noticed a calf in a pen with four riders milling about. There was a man standing beside the pen and I assume the youngsters were learning how to lasso as two of them had lariats dangling. Wondered if they might try to rope me in so I sped away as fast as my legs could pedal!

Didn't have to worry about braking on way down into OK Falls as wind was so strong I could probably have run more quickly. At any rate, I made for ORR and then took turn-off to Blue Mountain. A simply stunning view, back towards OK Falls, of Peach Cliff, across the carpet of vines which hem the road there. Always thrilled to see Vaseux gleaming below and McIntyre Bluff in the distance, once one reaches the top of the small hill there. Turned around just before the cattle guard leading to the winery and fought my way back, the battle with the wind now on in earnest. Did the loop around Stag's Hollow and just past Wild Goose I passed an older man, sitting on the seat of his walker, looking at the impressive, magnificent bluffs across the way. I said hello to him as I passed and when he turned to me, to return my greeting, I thought I recognized him. I might be wrong but I believe it was Adolph, the founder of Wild Goose. Will have to ask about him the next time we taste there. 

Ride along Eastside wasn't quite as tough as I had imagined it might be, some of the twists and turns in the road providing temporary shelter from the strong blasts. The afternoon had started out reasonably sunny but grey clouds had filled the sky as the ride progressed and it was relatively cool by the time I was back on Burns. Blamed the under 20 kph AVG on the wind but otherwise it was a decent outing. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1097843272#.VvTkxCROkXs.email




No comments:

Post a Comment