Tuesday 22 March 2016

Tears of TinTin Blues: Tuesday, March 22nd!

There is far too much law for those who can afford it and far too little for those who cannot. -Derek Bok, lawyer and educator (b. 22 Mar 1930) 

Maxime Brulein's photo.
Our shouting is louder than our actions, / Our swords are taller than us, / This is our tragedy. / In short / We wear the cape of civilization / But our souls live in the stone age. -Nizar Qabbani, poet and diplomat (21 Mar 1923-1998) 
Ayn P Yes. Today. Patrick James Dunn How fitting!
Ayn PAyn P I, sadly, must agree.
 
Next Monday we are going to drive past Oliver to Tinhorn Creek Winery to try The Golden Mile Trail (http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-The-Golden-Mile-Trail-by-Tinhorn-Creek-Vineyards-near-Oliver-BC-6009). We might want to wander from the trail to the terrain above the trail. We will leave Home Hardware in Penticton at 9am and Summerlanders can carpool from the IGA parking lot at 8:40am. Southerners can meet us at the Tinhorn Creek Winery parking lot at approximately 9:30 am (http://www.tinhorn.com/). It is up Road number 7 from Hwy 97, south of Oliver. Pam PS I called Larry Shannon but unfortunately he can't join us as he will be in Apex over Easter.

I didn't leave home until close to 4:00 pm. I had planned to ride about half an hour earlier but Lady Dar returned from her Costco run to Kelowna just as I was about to escape and was ordered to help unload the car! She had picked up two quite attractive, raised cedar garden beds which we hope to install in the front yard. Hope indeed, as we are not sure if we put them there the produce we expect to flourish will survive the depredations of the local deer, foraging with absolute impunity everywhere in town! Mme Coriandre noted that some of her early potted plants have already lost flowers so perhaps its time for a 12' electrified, barbed-wire fence, to keep out the wildlife and, perhaps, more importantly, Freeloaders!

At any rate, since I only really wanted a "stretch" ride after yesterday's near-death experiences on the hike to the east side of Cartwright Mountain, I decided I'd dipsy-doodle my entire outing, following my fall-back, basic route regulare. Did jsut that to PTC/Lakeshore/Riverside to have 20 km on the clock by the time I headed up Vancovuer Ave. Just past the Bench Deli I noted at least nine White-tailed deer grazing in the small,  level field immediately adjacent to the large, wonderful community garden there. Obviously distressed by the tall fence, erected precisely to prevent them from devastating the many succulent plantings, I imagined them conspiring to return to Burns Street to wreak more havoc on our front yard! Imelda returned, a day or so ago, from a new shoe reconnoitre, under the guise of grocery shopping, with a lovely Double Flowering Plum and we must needs move it to the relative safety of the back patio.

Anyway, I continued on, turning off at Cambie as I needed to log more distance and happened to see The Everyready Bunny, garbed in a hockey, just getting into her car for the drive to Penticton to watch the Penticton Vees do battle with the West Kelowna Warriors. Waved hello and goodbye and contiinued on my way, doing a number of loops of Middel Bench before tackling Upper Bench. One more ride up and down MB before heading down Government to do a final bit of dipsy-doodling along Riverside. The wind, by this time, roughly 6:10 pm was raging fiercely out of the northwest and I had to struggle, desperately, against it as I made my way along Lakeshore, whitecaps frothing menacingly on Okanagan. Once back on Ellis I was bulleted along as wind was now at my back and I was soon home, sheltered from the hammering gusts! Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1095665357#.VvJB1VWIAxw.email

Hi Master P aka Master of the belly rolls, I'd love to come and freeload. A couple of things though: first, would you be ok if I brought my new flame along, Jessica (she's also in SLAIS)? If not, that is totally fine, I will still come and take all of your whisky. Second, myself and Jessica have to catch the VSO Godfather show at Orpheum at 7p, so I'm/we would not be able to stay the full evening, hopefully you are ok with a hit-and-run? I could come earlier to Chloë's place, like at 5p? whatever works for you is ok with me, either way, would be great to see you if only for a bit. Also, where is Chloë's place? Take care and hope everyone is well, VL 

Hi Patrick, Have to unfortunately decline the invite. Still in Oslo. Unless somehow you can ask your buddy Jo Nesbö to fly me over. Patrick
Hello Swedish Freeloaders! Patrizzio the Younger, I thought Jo Nesbø was your close friend so sorry you won't be able to join us! Good thing as Vittorio eats twice as much as you anyway, even if he can't hold his hootch!

Arrive when you can, Vittorio, and we'd be delighted to include Jessica. Even better if she came by herself! Don't worry about leaving whenever you need to do so. We'll be at Chloë's, probably from the early afternoon on, on Wednesday, so come whenever it is convenient. She lives on Wall Street. You will need to phone Lady Dar's cell as door is keyed to Chloë's mobile number and she might not be home when you arrive, especially if it is before 5:00 pm.

On another matter, be forewarned that you cannot turn left, off Powell, onto Wall, from 3:00 pm-6:00 pm and there are often police waiting to nab offenders. Not sure where you will be coming from but if you come north on Nanaimo there is a light where it intersects with Powell. We often cut through the gas station and the MacDonalds on the corner of Powell/Wall but that can be risky as well, if the VPD is out and about! Anyway, you are, surprising though it seems, a big boy so I'll let you figure out what to do!

Grand that you and Jessica Jones can join us. Look forward to seeing you both. Sorry that we won't have you along, Patrizzio the Younger, as you have always been my favourite twin! Fondestos from Lady Dar to you both. Must away to split a few logs! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: The Sisterhood after bridge this past Sunday.


Patriçio, Dinner in Wednesday would work great for me. Well, … I had to blow off Angelina Joli, but she gets excited when I play hard-to-get. Just confirm with Chloe’s address and I will arrive with high expectations of a gourmet feast! cheers//bjp 

Hi Ragin'! Grand that you can come for dinner in spite of the fact that you feel I send too many, far too long email messages! Cheers, Patrizzio!


 






No comments:

Post a Comment