Sunday 6 March 2016

Peach Orchard Solly Road Bidding Blues: Sunday, March 6th!

Men ever had, and ever will have leave, / To coin new words well suited to the age, / Words are like leaves, some wither every year, / And every year a younger race succeeds. -Horace, poet and satirist (65-8 BCE) 


Not up until just before 9:00 am! Who said we were seniors? More like teenagers sleeping off a Saturday night hang-over! At any rate, up to have a delish mug of java, listening, quietly, so as not to disturb a still-slumbering Lady Dar, to Michael Enright on CBC's Sunday Edition. We are to play bridge, Chez Dronkers, in Summerland, this afternoon, at 2:00 pm, followed by dinner. Mme Coriandre will hie herself to Oasis later this morning and I plan to leave our place, by bike, in time to put me on the Dutch Doorstep in time for a quick shower/change before bidding begins. Forecast calls for a few showers but I think I'll ride, nonetheless. Must away as I need to have a bite to eat before I suit up and pack a small bag of clothes to change into once I've showered

Set out at close to 11:30 am and headed down Ellis to Lakeshore. Was very pleased to find the wind behind me as I knew it would be a terrific help, pushing me along 97 towards Summerland. Did a quick dipsy-doodle into Red Wing to boost my distance and then I was hurtling, (at least for me), past the lake, cars whizzing beside me. Was clocking over 22 kph by the time I reached Trout Lake so was very pleased. Once I'd reached the end of my circuit there, I decided I'd retrace my route, back through the residential district there, again, to boost my mileage. Found out how strong the headwind was when I did this but I struggled on, nonetheless, exploring a new residiential section off Stonor Street, at the southern end of my jog. 

Then back to Landry Crescent to rejoin 97. Blasted along, wind helping me along and was soon back on Lakeshore Dr S, more than delighted to be clocking 23.7 kph when I crossed Peach Orchard, making for Crescent Beach. A quick loop here and then on my way to tackle the climb up Peach Orchard. I knew my AVG would drop, precipitiously, I thought, on the almost 2 km ascent but was more than pleased to register 21.+ something when I rode under the highway overpass where Peach Orchard starts to level off. From there it was an easy ride to loop through Summerland's small downtown to take Prairie Valley back down to 97. Here it becomes Solly Road and I followed it to Bristow and then Faircrest and I was rolling into the driveway of the lovely home inhabited by Jos and Aarturo! I was there before Lady Dar, although Pamela had arrived a few minutes earlier. Couldn't have been happier, with both the weather, it was a lovely, sunny day in spite of the few clouds, and stiff wind. Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1075950386#.Vt2g5oPobwU.email

Good evening Mary Lee and Pat, I hope that you had a lovely weekend. Two pretty nice days I would say even if I was too sick to take advantage of them. Just letting you know that I remain unwell. From a friend that fought this bug before me it takes a while to shake. I will save my energy tomorrow to continue my battle for health rather than hike. I hope to feel well enough to go to Dorothy Tinning's talk at OC tomorrow night. I'll play that one by ear. Merry trekking tomorrow. Regards, Pam  

Hi Goils! Sorry to hear you are still recovering, Spumoni, but probably a good idea to continue to lie low. Whirling Dervish, do you want to leave your car here and let me drive? Or, I can collect you. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly.

Pam, you had asked about the Home Show. We had a very interesting time. Will chat with you about it next time we hike. Cheers, Patrizzio! Pic: Lady Dar wanted this tub!


PatriƧio, As you may know, I have always been very skeptical about hybrid never mind electric cars. Well, I finally stumbled upon an electric car that may meet my requirements. Please check out: http://www.rimac-automobili.com/en/
The origin of Rimac Automobili is pure coincidence. I have already offered to test the prototype on hwy 97c! cheers//bjp

Hi Ragin'! Pleased that you have found yet another toy! However, heed your own advice: "You might want a Rimac but you certainly don't need one! Anyway, I understood you were "flying" up the conventional way!!! Will call to make arrangements to meet, at some point. Have talked to Chloƫ and she'll bring her laptop to give to us to give to you! If you are interested in the Sevens you'll probably need to find tickets through the website. Mick Carter took care of that when early bird prices were available. Chat soon. Take care of your self, Ragin'! Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Hi Patrick, Inspiring to read about your biking – over 100 km keeping up the good pace – I’m impressed, remembering cycling myself along the Black Sage Bench road, although it was a few degrees hotter. Great to hear about Laura Smith, whom we enjoy too, but yet to hear her live.

BUT I’m writing to thank you for your generous donation. Really appreciated it! Heart Month is done, and I finished with a good bit more than expected – not bad for my first time at this game – feels good, especially since the cause grew on me, and was a reminder of my Dad. Many of my circle of friends and acquaintances had donated already via other channels, or to other causes – I hang out with a generous crowd, apparently - so it was great to locate even more people that were interested in supporting the Foundation.

If you want to see a video about heart research – 1 ½ minutes – have a look here – just sent out by the Foundation to share with supporters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FXxSZEOPjE&feature=youtu.be&tr=y&auid=16497371

However, for me, while research is crucial, that the Foundation is balancing the research with communication with the public and health professionals, that’s what made it easier to send out the requests for donations. So, thanks for the donation! Good to hear all is well with you, and that we cross paths again soon. Will hear soon about your exploits in India – we will cross paths with Lynn & Peter down in the desert next week – we are headed down to Desert Hot Springs, long hikes in Joshua Tree park and steeping the healing waters after, maybe some cycling too?, plus a get-together with the folk from the Naramata Bench. Warm regards, Jim (to some, very few, known as Volunteer Man)







 

No comments:

Post a Comment