Saturday 5 March 2016

Home Show Music of the Night Blues: Saturday, March 5th!

One day's exposure to mountains is better than cartloads of books. See how willingly Nature poses herself upon photographers' plates. No earthly chemicals are so sensitive as those of the human soul. -John Muir, naturalist, explorer, and writer (1838-1914)


Buongiorno Three No Trumper! You are a wonderful partner and I am more than delighted to play with you. I'm no expert just someone who likes to bluff! Patience is not required but teasing is mandatory! Am glad you enjoyed the "fictionalized" account of snow-shoeing at Apex but it was based on a very true story of terror in the back-country! Obvious exaggerations aside, I felt very, very nervous and quite uncomfortable about crossing the creek and making many of those corners on the steep slope, let me tell you. Of course, perfect situations for silly embellishment but a solid kernel of trepidation, verging on unbridled fear, embedded within my racing heart!

We are off to the Home & Renovation Show at the Trade & Convention Centre this morning. Depending on how long Lady Dar wishes to flounce around the Home Show not sure if I'll have time for a ride today. O Woe is Me! Then to a cocktail party, hosted by Michelle Dunn, of The Flatlanders, before attending the OSO's Pops concert, apparently "the music of the West End London Musical and greatest hits of the Broadway stage, with tenor Peter Karries and soprano Melina Moore."

We have never been to the Cleland Community Theatre so that will be interesting, in and of itself. Depending on how long Lady Dar wishes to flounce around the Home Show not sure if I'll have time for a ride today. Forecast suggests showers for Sunday but perhaps I'll be able to dodge the drops on the way to Summerland! Probably give you a shout once I know a little more about weather. If I ride, I'll plan to arrive about 1:30 pm as I'll need to have a quick shower and three bottles of wine before we start playing! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi! Fellow Hikers: Are you planning on doing this hike? If so, we can carpool. Patrick ...................... We can pick you up at 8:20 am. Mary Lee :-)

Mary Lee and Pat, I have been under the weather (majorly) all week fighting a nasty bug. It is Saturday morning and I still feel quite unwell. All this to say that I am unsure of my status for Monday morning. May I let you know Sunday night? Have a great weekend. Pam

Hi! Pam ........... So sorry to hear that the nasty bug is still with you. I hope that the tick that you found in your hair did not have any effect on you. Is there anything that I can do to help you? No worries!! Just let me know Sunday night how you are feeling and if you are up to hiking on Monday.

When I'm feeling under the weather, I seep a teapot of hot boiled water with fresh ginger & fresh lemon and a bit of honey and I drink it all day. Then I eat the softened ginger to give me more antioxidants. It does make me feel better and I seem to recover quickly with this remedy. Hope you feel better soon. Take care!! Mary Lee :-)

Hello Whirling Dervish and Under-the-Weather Spumoni! Yes, I was planning to hike on Monday. If the Naramatian is joining us, (Sorry to hear about your nasty "bug" Pam. Obviously not drinking enough wine from the Bench!!!), you could pop by and leave the car here. I'm happy to drive as it's my turn. Let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly.

We are playing bridge with Jos and Pam I, (Pam Krannitz! We'd love you to join us, Pam II, whenever you'd like.), on Sunday afternoon. Keep twirling, Whirling Dervish. Take care of yourself, Pam II. Make sure Wild Bill provides plenty of hot rum and lemon to help ease your congestion! Will wait to hear about Monday's hike until Sunday evening. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Pat, I am sorry that I missed the bridge tourney on Friday. Lynn P mentioned it on the hike last Monday. However I would have just spread unwelcome germs all over the place. Thanks for the invitation to play bridge tomorrow aft. I'll take a rain check if that's ok. How was the Home Show? I had hoped to get there this weekend. I'll keep you posted on Monday's hike. Hopefully another early night tonight will see me much improved tomorrow. Happy Sunday! Pam

Boy, you sure are a busy beaver, aren't you, Mr. Pat!!! Lots of fun times shared with friends .................... that's what life is all about ................ enjoying each day to its fullest.
Enjoy your fun-filled day today.
I'm detailing cleaning both cars and the garage, then heading out for a run along the KVR trail before going to a dinner party in Naramata with friends.
We were at the Vees game last night. It was the 1st of the playoffs and we won 6-3 vs. Vernon. We'll be there again tomorrow night. GO VEES GO!!

If Pam isn't able to join us on Monday, I will pick you up at 8:20 pm. I will confirm with you on Sunday evening (if it's not too late after the hockey game) or Monday morning. Ciao for now!Mary Lee :-)

Good morning Patrick!...thought you and the Mrs might enjoy these!!
Those movie stars and or whatever celebrity status these notables had were once young and innocent too!!! I found it interesting to imagine what their personalities might have been like as youngsters I'm sure most were very colorful characters already!!:-)
 

Hope you have a nice week-end & as always... Thank you for the animated descriptive account of your hikes and snowshoeing escapades!!...a brave bunch you are!!...photos are superb as well!! Grand Merci!!! Regards,...Elle

Hi Murielle! Sorry I've not replied sooner. Thanks for the most interesting "then-and-now" pictures. Enjoyed them indeed! Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Corinne, we are looking forward to seeing you both. Jane is suffering from bronchitis (formerly thought to be bacterial pneumonia) and is off work trying to get well for her spring break.

Thank you for the meal planning and for offering to celebrate Jane's birthday while we are there. You can count on a couple sous-chefs for all of our meals. Can we assume you have some GF flour or should we bring? Please let us know if there is anything else we can bring. Fond regards to all, G


OK, I'll be prepared,we are off to Mary Lee and Paul now to meet The Dutch mafia tonight in Naramata. Table is ready,wine is cold,Gulash prepared,and in case we get stuck on Naramata Bench tonight,you know where to find the cards.
On the table! Enjoy your performance tonight. Jos
Patriçio, Yes, I have definitely not been "operating on all thrusters”, as Scotty would say. When you are in afib, your heart works at about 80%. That means less blood flow/oxygen to the whole body. That combined with lack of sleep this past week, has kind of zapped me.

Now w.r.t. Chloe’s Mac. If it is a 2009 model, and “works” (ie, no screen or touchpad, etc issues) it could be worth putting some $$ into. I’d have to see it (the actual specs), but I could see spending up to $400 on it. You should also check out the “refurbished” mac site - that’s where I got my new Mac - I am sure these machines are *new*.

http://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

I have not followed up on the Rugby 7’s - if there are still openings, I would be interested. Let’s make sure we touch bases when you are in town. I assume you have an overly ambitious schedule, but we could grab a coffee/bagel.

The idea of flying in for a few days is enticing. Only a 53 minute flight, and costs about the same as gas and wear & tear on the car. Just don’t pass this info to you-know-who! A few days in early April would work for me. Let’s discuss. whew//bjp

 

We headed out to the T&CC at 10:30 am and happily were able to find parking in the lot there. We enjoyed strolling the aisles, chatting with vendors, seeing new products, etc. In fact, we were quite pleased to find a number of companies, as one might expect, selling awnings and/or louvered roofs. Was very taken with latter, in particular, in terms of flexibility, durability and cost. Actually made arrangements with the chap at both to visit and come up with an estimate for our back patio. One significant advantage this product design has over a fixed roof is that one can open the louvers to allow sun in when one would like. At any rate, rather excited about this possibility as we do want some sort of structure to provide shade, not only for entertaining but also to keep the sun off the patio door, the better to keep the house cool in the heat of the summer.

Also met and talked with a number of vendors of solar panels. (Interestingly enough, one was Roger Huber of Swiss Solar Tech Ltd, from Summerland. He and his wife know fellow Swiss, Irene and Lillianne, from the hiking group!) Again, hope to schedule consultations, in the not too, too distant future, to see what might be done with our roof and mounting panels thereon.

Many other interesting products but those two were what we are serious about so the show was well worth our time. Also bumped into Ron Gerk, salesman from Huber Bannister Chevrolet. He sold us our Equinox. I'd noticed that one of the rear tires seemed a bit low and was planning to take it to a gas station to add some air. Mentioned this to Ron and he said to swing by Huber and service would take care of it. We had seen what we wanted by close to noon so did just that when we left the Home Show. A few minutes later a technician, a very friendly young woman, was adjusting the pressure. When she'd inflated the tire she mentioned she'd just give it a quick, once-over. Glad she was so thorough as she found a nail!

Made arrangements with the Service Manager to bring the car back as soon as I'd dropped off Lady Dar at Freedom, to collect her bike, and then home to change into my riding gear. I put my Trek on the rack and drove back to Huber. I planned to go for a ride while the tire was being changed. Day was absolutely glorious, about 13º C, bright and sunny, although there was a very, very stiff breeze out of the S. This being the case I didn't relish fighting it all the way along Skaha to OK Falls of struggling against it coming back from Naramata. Decided on a weasel compromise, dipsy-doodling along Lakeshore/Riverside and various side-streets with a foray up Vancouver to do the same along Middle and Upper Bench Roads before returning to dealership to pick up the car. Especially pleased that the puncture was found and fixed as we are off to Vancouver on Thursday and it would have been a drag to have had a flat, or worse, on the highway! Stats for ride!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1074302791#.VtvTBl44tWc.email

Back home I showered and changed and we set off to attend a small get-together, before the evening concert, hosted by Cora Lee's relatively new acquaintance, Michelle, at her place on Yorkton, off Skaha Lake Rd. Had a wonderful time meeting some of the other Flatlanders and Michelle's friend, Mitch. She served a lovely array of delicious hors d'oeuvres and we nibbled and sipped away until it was time to leave for the Cleland. We took separate cars, although I suggested carpooling, and were at the concert hall in plenty of time. Place was filled, almost to capacity, so pleased for the OSO and their subscription series. While I am not really a rabid fan of musical theatre, and certainly not of selections of same, I did enjoy hearing the OSO and the Music Director, Rosemary Thomson, for the first time. Was extremely impressed with Melina Moore, soprano, as she has a thrilling voice and marvellous comedic timing and expression. Sorry to say that I was quite disappointed by Peter Karrie, tenor, as I think, and I'm certainly no expert, that his voice is well past its prime. It didn't help that I knew very few of the selections he performed and the ones I did know, superficially, were not much to my liking. Still, a most pleasant evening, overall, a bit of a window into some of the cultural possibilities in our new community.

Invited our fellow concert goers back for a drink after the show but everyone declined. Thanked Michelle for hosting earlier and waved goodbye and goodnight to make our own way back home. Not unhappy to be able to read in bed, once there, as it had been a full day.



No comments:

Post a Comment