Saturday 23 January 2016

Work Bench Blues: Saturday, January 23rd!

He who is only just is cruel. Who on earth could live were all judged justly? -Lord Byron, poet (22 Jan 1788-1824)  


Hi Karl! Sorry that it has taken me a few days to answer your first message from this past Thursday. Glad to learn that you have been hiking regularly and thanks, as well, for lovely photo album of Friday's outing. As you mention, another great area for Monday's Boot Hikers.

You sound as if you have been extremely busy with your own renovations. Bathroom sounds terrific. For my part, I have been pretty involved, acting as a carpenter's helper to Dusty, my incredible, 91 year old Father-in-Law, here since January 12th, along with Clara, my equally marvellous Mother-in-Law, turning 91, herself, on the 28th of this month! They will return to Manitoba on February 10th. We have been busy installing storage shelving in the garage and are almost finished. Once last few things have been done here, (I trust by the day's end!), we will move outside, next week, to put in steps to patio from my "office". We had a sliding door installed there this past summer and had been using large rounds of firewood as temporary steps! Then storage units for bicycles on the sheltered side of the house. If time, energy and finances permit, we may well take a look at some shelving in the street-side corner of the living room as we need a unit there to house our stereo equipment, as well as more books shelves! Cora Lee wants me to divest myself of my books but I am holding firm to keeping them!!!

Didn't start working on the garage shelving until a about 11:00 am yesterday as I had to head back to the dottore's for a follow-up discussion, on my annual physical, the office having had my blood work results back. All seemingly well although my aging frame says otherwise! Did a bit of grocery shopping on way home and then had a delish brunch of overleft spaghetti and meatballs before joining The Dustman in the garage. He had cut and installed the three small shelves that we had decided we'd affix to the patio door end of the work table so when I joined the chain gang we worked at putting more of the finishing touches to the shelving we'd installed the day before. 

Garage is really starting to take shape so absolutely delighted about this, of course. Finally going to have enough space to sort through the boxes that I've spent more time moving from one place to another and back!

Thanks so very much for providing Dave's phone number. Great to have someone who comes well recommended, based on past work. Once the abovementioned, smaller projects are complete, our plans are to take a look at both a car-port and covering the house end of the back patio so I will certainly call Dave to see what he thinks about timing, cost, etc.

Must away as I 've to make a run to Rona for more building materials! Have included a few snaps of work in garage. One shows the fridge we bought from you. Have been really pleased with it, as I knew we would, ever since Henryk picked it up. It gives us much extra needed storage space and will be even more  useful/necessary in the baking heat of the summer as I'm sure you can appreciate. Please tell Patricia that we are glad that she didn't like it!!!

All the best and travel safely. Have a wonderful time in Mexico. Where are you headed? We have spent a fair bit of time on the west coast. First in Puerta Vallarta, back in the early 2000's, and then in 2009 we rented a wonderful house, north of there by an hour, in Guayabitos/La Penita. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Dusty working in garage, (Still in disarray until I have time to do more sorting/shifting.), new shelving and patio with stacked planking and temporary "steps", moved aside.

Time really does fly when you're having fun! In this new year, we've already participated in a wine event, racked and blended the 2015 vintage, and are now bottling the 2014 wines for release next month. We are writing about a few different newsworthy items, so be sure to read to the end of the email for all the thrilling details!

Hi Mick The Hearse, et al! Terrific to hear from you, Bionic Granfather, and learn about all your simply wonderful, wonderful news! Foist and foimost, Congratulations Extraordinaire on your new grandson! Hip Hip Hooray! Please pass along our best wishes to Nicole and Chris, as well, on the birth of their son, Carlos James, and relate how delighted I am that he has been blessed with my middle name! [Thank goodness for friends who are having grandchildren as Chloë had some difficulty this Fall but will be trying again next month so we are crossing our fingers!] Remind the new Papa that I might need a few more Richmond Fire Department T-shirts for cycling. Lady Darjeeling finally tore my 2010 Olympic, fabulous bamboo weave, [Luxury! Sheer Luxury!], volunteers' shirts up for rags. Very dismaying, indeed, as I could have worn them, a la Raymondo Banks, for the next ten years!

Furthermore, congrats on your 20/20 vision. Rosita could hardly stop chortling when she read about what you hilariously related about your drives "sailing into the woods!"For his part, Dusty had a similar eye operation, two years ago, this February, in Vancouver, and now he can read the label on a bottle of rum from 200 yards! Who performed the surgery? Mike Berman?

For my part, on the home front, I have been pretty involved, acting as a carpenter's helper to Dusty, still incredible at 91, here since January 12th, along with Rosita, turning 91, herself, on the 28th of this month! They will return to Manitoba on February 10th. We have been busy installing storage shelving in the garage and are almost finished. Once last few things have been done here, (I trust by the end of the weekend!), we will move outside to put in steps to patio from my "office". As you might remember, we had a sliding door installed there this past summer and had been using large rounds of firewood as temporary steps! Then storage units for bicycles on the sheltered side of the house. If time, energy and finances permit, we may well take a look at some shelving in the street-side corner of the living room as we need a unit there to house our stereo equipment, as well as more books shelves! Cora Lee wants me to divest myself of my books but I am holding firm to keeping them!!!


Made three runs to Rona for more building materials today! First was for lumber, second for another compost bin, [Like one we already own. I plan to have my own "organic" stall at the Farmer's Market this Spring/Summer. Desperately need a tax write-off with current $CDN!], as I was able to get it for 25% reduction, (Floor model and not much demand at this time of year but already assembled! Latter is almost more important than former as with first one Cora Lee and I almost came to life threatening blows!] Must away as we are to watch a recorded episode of Elementary in Rumpus Room shortly.

Have included a few snaps of work in garage. Will probably spend most of tomorrow re-arranging boxes and sorting through some of them, now that I have some usable space. Dusty's day off to watch football although I'm hoping he will cut the boards for the shelving under the window work table and help me hang a blind over the window with the stained glass. [The sun blazes into the garage through this window during the summer so with the blind we can better control the temperature.] Had it and its mate in our hallway at the Islay Inn and have finally been able to hang them. Other is now in the guest bedroom. Lady Dar wanted to hang the one that was there in the front hallway. [It came form my grandparent's house in Rivers!] Hope to do that tomorrow as I needed to buy a vice so that we can bend some L-brackets to accept the frame for ease of mounting/taking down. I will soon be the proud owner of all sorts of tools that I will probably never ever use again!

Before I sign off, please think about staying with us for a couple of nights before your Sandy Beach Lodge family gathering in June. We'd love to see you both, it goes without saying and if you are able to stay longer perhaps we can go riding on the KVR, and certainly more wine tasting. Anyway, think about it and we'll plan accordingly. Perhaps Sir Andrew, Theodarakis, Ricardo and Raymondo, avec far more likable spouses, might even consider joining us. Room for one and all even if Sir Andrew has to sleep on the couch beside the fire pit!

Speaking of same, have you made any progress with respect to advance tickets for the World Rugby Sevens, March 12th/3th? I'm keen to attend, as is Theodore. Not sure about Glasgow but I'm sure there might well be many others. Let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Il Conduttore/Patrizzio!

Pics: Patio with stacked planking and temporary "steps", moved aside. Stained glass window mounted this afternoon and one yet to be hung.


Hi Marilyn and Big Al! First and foremost, terribly sorry to learn about Ollie. Very sad, sad time for everyone, it goes without saying. Trust things are a tad better now. I still think so fondly of all the cats we have had and remembering them brings a tear to my eye. Still, one can relish the wonder and laughter that they injected into our lives. Fondestos from the rest of the Gang of Three. Cheers, Patrizzio!




No comments:

Post a Comment