Friday 8 January 2016

Rona Canadian Tire DIY Blues: Thursday, January 8th!

Many individuals have, like uncut diamonds, shining qualities beneath a rough exterior. - Juvenal, poet (c. 60-140)


 I missed you! Aarturo                         Hi Aarturo! I assume you joined the snow-sloggers! Lady Dar was wondering if the snow was wet, given the melt conditons here on the flatland. (She joined The Flatlanders on Wednesday and had a most enjoyable time. She knew a number of the woman as many have spouses who belong to hiking group as well, as you know, and she's met quite a few such couples at various gatherings.) I assume, snow would be drier at higher elevations.

Anyway, I do hope that I'll be able to hit "the slopes", so to speak, at some point in the not too, too distant future. However, for he short term, I've a number of household chores to discharge. On Sunday I finally "attacked" the garage, sorting boxes and stacking them, in order of "need", putting books, LP's, photo albums and such, on the higher shelves with "needed" items, (tools, cleaning fluids, recyling bins, etc.), closer to the floor for ease of ready access. That done, I now have room to move in the "workshop" area, centering around the workbench Ragin' Bull helped construct this past summer.

Once that was done I started to think about where I might install yet more shelving and I had a literal Eureka epiphany. Shortly after we moved, Cora Lee, and other friends, had suggested buying industrial-like storage cabinets but I didn't really like that idea. However, when thinking about the garage door itself, and how to utilize that "wall" it occurred to me that this would be the ideal place to put such cabinets, as opposed to building more permanent wooden units. This way, should we ever need to open the door, it will still be possible to gain ingress/egress once the metal cabinets are moved aside. I don't anticipate ever parking a car inside but if we ever need to move a large piece of furniture or an appliance through this opening it will be possible. After congratulating myself I mentioned my thought to Lady Dar and she immediately drew my attention to the latest Canadian Tire flyer which advertised a number of such cabinets.

This being the case we decided we'd take a look yesterday. We had some recycling to do as well as some grocery shopping so after those errands we stopped at Rona. I'd like to buy another compost unit and wanted to see if they had any, as well as comparing prices on above-mentioned cabinets. Latter were more expensive, as I presumed, but still not a bad idea to see what is available. On to CT and was pleased to find a unit that met both my storage needs and budget. Bought two but couldn't take them as we'd found a bathroom vanity at Rona, on sale, (saving about $400), and had it in the back. The existing one in the guest bathroom is too small and we've always wanted to replace it but since it was not a "burning" priority we had put it further down on the list. Once we happened upon it we decided now was the time to act. Took two lads from Rona and I to load it into car. Awkward, more than anything else, but still a decent weight.

After I arranged to collect shelving next day, we headed home and much to my delight, Lady Dar and I were able to person-handle the unit out of the car, over the frozen snowbanks, (Parked at front of house as fewer doorways to negotiate!), across the tundra-like expanse of the boulevard and up the thousands of steps to our front door and into the house. Just inside the front door, we put the unit on an old blanket, the better to drag it into the guest bathroom, where it now waits for Lady Dar to do a bit of touch-up sanding/painting on one end-post. The separate back-splash piece of marble was broken, (hence discount, along with the bit of flaking paint), but we plan to put a different strip of coloured ceramic there, once unit is installed, so pleased as punch with how things turned out.

Once we'd put the furniture we'd moved to make way for the vanity, I returned to CT to collect the shelving. Decided I might as well collect the units as the sooner I have them assembled, the sooner I'll be able to continue the de-cluttering process. That dear friend, is the main reason I was not along, although I've still to strap on my snow-shoes and learn how to stumble across aforementioned tundra wastes!

Must away as Lady Dar is going to help me with the Ikea-like assembly of shelving units. She has already said that she can hardly wait to start arguing! On a happier note, we would like to invite you and Jos for dinner, a week this Saturday, January 16th, if free and interested. Clara and Dusty arrive this coming Tuesday and we'd like to have a small welcome party for them to meet some of the not-so-titched locals and show them that we were not entirely "nuts" to move here! Anyway, let us know and we'll plan accordingly.

On another matter, I have the snapolas of Jos' 65th on a flash drive so if you are by, pop around. Otherwise, I'll bring it on Monday, to the hike, if you plan to attend. Fondestos from Harsh Task Mistress Mme Coriandre. Cheers, Missing You But Ever Stoic Patrizzio! Pics: DIY projects! 


P, good to chat with you and C. Look forward to catching up when you are in town or when we get to the Reach. Please send a care package of books when the stacks get in your way. I expect you will be in line to buy the Balvenie 50 bottle that is being sold here at the Cambie jar store. You may need the Cudgel for security.

Building continues here ad infinitum. I am am into the painting now and flooring should follow then onto phase 2. Phase two is the kitchen... I still hope to outlive this project. Fond regards to all, G


Hello Fellow DIYer and Weekend Layabout! Lovely to chat, as well. Visit the Reach quickly as Lady Dar is starting to make sounds about taking boxes of books to The Book Shop so that she can buy Harlequin Romance Novels! Will need a case of the Balvenie 50 if that happens. Think even The Cudgel would balk at the price!

Must away to work on garage.
I hope to outlive this process but am a feared that if I do, the malt cabinet will be bare! Having a small dinner party for Rosita and Coat Hanger next Saturday. We have invited Jos and Aarturo, a couple I trust you will meet, as well, when circumstances allow. Fondestos from Harsh Task Mistress Mme Coriandre. Cheers, Ever Stoic Patrizzio!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment