Friday 6 May 2016

Robo Robson Naramata Bench Bad Boy Blues: Friday, May 6th!

Thinking is an experimental dealing with small quantities of energy, just as a general moves miniature figures over a map before setting his troops in action. -Sigmund Freud, neurologist, founder of psychoanalysis (6 May 1856-1939) 


Hi Patrick and Corine: You will only have one guest on Sunday. Jim can not make it, some issues with his company. I will probably leave at 2 Sunday afternoon. Don't hold dinner for me. Looking forward to seeing you. Ted 

Hi Theodore! Sorry Jimbo won't be joining you. However, if you leave by 2:00 pm you should be here, if you are not stopping en route, by 7:00 pm-7:30 pm, at the latest, depending on traffic, of course. We usually drive via the Hope-Princeton and last two times it was four and a half hours, both ways. You are very familiar with Coquihalla so I understand that may well be your preferred route. I find the former more attractive and when time is not an issue, (I think 30 minutes, +/-, is only difference anyway, although Hot Foot Chloƫ claims a record of 3.5 hours, door to door!), it is always my choice.

Nevertheless, we will be in no rush to eat and would certainly be more than happy to have dinner with you, unless you anticipate a midnight arrival, or even later! At any rate, let us know what you think and we'll plan accordingly! Looking forward to seeing you and only wish the lovely Elaine would be coming along as well! Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio!
Thanks Patrick I will be there for dinner, any problem and I will call you. Ted

Up at 7:30 am when Lady Dar turned on my bedside radio. I'm most fond of  luxuriating in bed, listening to early morning radio, and, I'm terribly happy to report, Dear Reader, that Mme Coriandre has finally, after countless years, finally acknowledged this morning preference of mine, to the extent that she tip-toes, (Not an issue as I possess hawk ears and hear her every movement as she creeps from bed to bathroom to my bedside!), to turn on aforementioned vacuum tubes, to seal away to read in unencumbered bliss, while I snooze and drift in and out of sleep .

But no this morning as I had arranged to ride, The Naramata Bench, with Bad Boy and Jack Rabbit Gilliana! I needed to be up in plenty of time to lube and fill my water bottle with electrolytic replacement tablets as the anticipated pace would tax my already sorely taxed  system. Once this was done and I'd fueled on yogurt and a diced, deliciously tart Granny Smith, drizzled with yogurt, I was ready for Carmi Ken's arrival. True to his word he was a few minutes early and after I'd introduced him to Lady Darjeeling, still in her pajamas Dear Reader, and I'd brow-beaten her into taking a few snaps of our road biking glory, we set off.  

As we had plenty of time, I took Bad Boy down to the PTC before we headed up Vancouver, making a didpsy doodle to show him where Perpetual Motion Mary lived. Then on to Middle Bench for a quick loop there before heading back, up and past Popular Grove, (my moniker fro Poplar Grove), and then a zoom down Uppper Bench to Upper Bench WInery before turning around there to rendezvous with Gillaina at Township 7. She was as good as her word and we greeted one another before setting off on Naramata Road, she leading, Bad Boy in the middle, to keep him from wandering off, followed by Tail-End Charlie.

I had not ridden with Jack Rabbit Gill since last summer and she was even speedier than she'd been on that occasion. I really was the long last in line as she and her draft junkee, heads to handlebars, zipped along, literally leaving me in the wake of their dust. It was fortunate for me, but a nuisance for Kranky Ken when his chain came off, just past Moraine. While he managed to get grease on his ham fists, Gilliana took the opportunity to take a Comfort Station stop, (She likes to mark her riding or hiking territory!), and I, not being able to touch the Dreaded Burning Ground, continued north, moseying along, enjoying the stupendous views of the vineyard carpeted benches, the gleaming expanse of the lake and Giant's Head regally surveying everything beneath. 

By the time I was at Arawana Road I was worried that something else might have happened as still no sign of my riding companions so I began to circle there, in the small paved turn-out. Just before I turned into Dizzy Gillespie they hove into view and we continued on, this time I was in the lead, fighting the fairly decent headwind until we passed Il Palazzio de Lighthall, just past Robinson, and then the speed demons took over, crouching low, flying down the series of long hills there. I was miles behind, losing sight of them as they caromed around corners and over the lips of small rises until the next real climb, just past a large boulder, painted with a colourful sun face, began.

Given the trouble Bad Boy can have with his ankles/feet and Gilliana's replacement knees, I seem to have the advantage on most of the climbs, given my stubby Ukrainian legs and I was the first one to power myself over the first cattle guard, near the top of that ascent, even though Jack Rabbit Slims was there ahead of me. She is uncomfortable riding over the fairly widely spaced struts while I simply close my eyes and hope for the best! At any rate, I made the crest of the next hill and was starting up the approach to the last prolonged climb when the Cheeky Chatterbox was back beside me. While she nattered away, about all and sundry, rides and riding partners, road bikes and mountain bikes, cabbages and kings, I would offer a grunt or a "yes" or a Terse Tinka phrase, needing to concentrate on my breathing while she obviously had endless supplies of oxygen. If I'd been able I'd have asked for mouth-to-mouth if only to stop her Mary Lee-like gattling-gun spray of words!  

Once at the turn-off to Chute Lake she stopped while I circled until Bad Boy joined us. I was waiting to see if he planned to ride to the bottom of Indian Rock Road. He dithered, for a bit, but then told me to lead on so I took off, followed, surprisingly by the Plucky One, showing even greater resolve by riding over the cattle guard one encounters shortly after the descent begins. Safely over I congratulated her, knowing she was capable. At this point she said she wasn't going to go all the way to the bottom of the hill although I encouraged her to do so. Nevertheless, we whizzed along, Bad Boy behind us, until we reached the intersection of N Naramata Road and Indian Rock Road. There is a small, flat area there and the two of them stopped here. Gilliana had already said that was as far as she intended to go and Bad Boy wasn't sure if he wanted to put the additional stress on his sore limbs with the long, steep climb back. I chided them to keep going, yelling that I would meet them back at the Chute Lake turnoff if they stayed. 

The road twists back and forth, reasonably sharp hair-pin turns, two or three times, as one heads downhill and about half-way from the bottom I looked slightly back and up to see my two friends whizzing down after me! Delighted that they had taken the plunge, so to speak, I made my way towards the end of the road, over a small bridge, much of its surface covered from sand and gravel, washed there, I presumed, from the the water raging down the stream it crossed. The volume of water was similar to one or two other streams we'd passed along Naramata Road, earlier on. No far from the bridge the road dead ens and using the small turnaround area there, I girded my psychological loins and started the climb up. 

Since I've now ridden here at least four times, I have a better idea of what to expect ahead and each subsequent climb becomes relatively easier. Such was the case on this ride and I was plugging along, not feeling at all pressed when to my complete surprise Jack Rabbit pulled up beside me, chattering away like an angry squirrel! She had stopped for another comfort station break, as Bad Boy informed me, just as I was recrossing the bridge, while I must have been turning around. I had passed her when she was just getting back on her bike and assumed I'd not see either of them until back at Chute Lake turnoff. 

Not so at all as Gilliana is a very powerful cyclist and she chatted away, once again not needing to concentrate on her breathing while I laboured away, grunting this, grunting that. Close to the top of the last, steepest hill below Naramata Road there is a stunning adobe house which I've always admired, everything from its architectural design to its landscaping to the remarkable view its location affords. At any rate, as we pedaled up the road towards the driveway of the house, a woman walking a dog along the road turned into the driveway and commented that she thought that we were both very energetic. I replied that she had a stunning home and that it was he very reason we cycled here. She was most appreciative but I was delighted to have actually met, if only so fleetingly, someone who lived there. I had always wondered what the owners might be like as I'd never seen a soul there on any of my earlier rides.

Leaving Bad Boy to fight his own way up, we were soon back on Naramata Rd and the going was a tad easier for a bit until we started the last long, long climb. It is not overly steep at this point but the long, long grade seems to go on forever and Jack Rabbit and I commiserated with one another about the unfairness of this after what we'd already endured. I was almost relieved when Dynamo Woman announced she was going to stop where the road levels out, somewhat, for bit, to have a nibble of some of the snacks she always brings along. Telling her I'd see them both at the turn-off I kept going, working up as much of a head of steam as I could muster before crossing the danged cattle guard ahead. Once over this obstacle I still had the remainder of the maddening slope to negotiate but the promised shade of the tall pines ahead drew me along and I was soon circling on the smooth tarmac of the broad intersection, waiting for the Tardy Twosome.

They were soon there and off we set, glorying in the whip of the wind past our ears as we raced downhill, slowing a tad as we shot over the last cattle guard, a small voice in the back of my mind reminding how terribly quickly and how terribly wrong things could go if something went awry over such a surface. Bad Boy was in the lead and safe on the other side, Gilliana was just behind me when I heard her shout out something. I couldn't really make it out but assumed she was planning another rest room break. I kept going and as the next little while is all downhill I really didn't expect to have her catch up, if at all, for sometime. Yet less than a few minutes later she was back, talking my ear off! Something had dropped out of her jacket pocket as she jangled over the cattle guard and she had stopped to retrieve it. If it had been me I wondered if I would have been able to regain the lost ground.

Anyway, the wind was now at our backs, most of the time, some of the time it was a strong cross-wind so not all that helpful, but generally speaking it pushed us along as we retraced our earlier route, whizzing down the small slopes at fairly great speed and then helped up the shortish climbs without having to shift down overmuch. We stayed in a fairly close cluster until the last longish climb before Robinson and here my Ukelele Legs gave me a bit more of an advantage over both my mates and I pulled ahead, staying ahead for the rest of the ride, chased only, and closely so, by Jack Rabbit Gilliana. Even she started to fade as we approached Ruby Blues and Red Rooster and I was the first to reach Reservoir Rd, jsut up from Township 7 where Robo WOamn had parked her car. I circled here until she pulled up and I thanke dher for the glorious ride. We made plans to ride again and then I headed for T7 to wait for Bad Boy, not all that far behind by then. He too, stopped to chat with Perpetual Woman in Motion before joining me downhill. 

We took Upper Bench to Johnson Road and then loped back on Middle Bench to Vancouver. I was keen to log 61 km for the day and needed the extra distance this would give. Swooshing down Lower Bench Rd and then Vancouver we rode back up Ellis, cutting over at Cannery Brewing to wend our way through the side streets there to put us back on Eckhardt. Since the light was red at Government I made a right there to circle back on White to meet Bad Boy at the bottom of Burns. He'd come straight through the intersection so turned off Eckhardt. When we pulled up in the back yard, Lady Dar was painting the fence so she joined us for a few minutes. She had a doctor's appointment at 2:00 pm and had to shower ad change. She entertianed Bad Boy while I poured him a beer and made a java for myself.

We visited for twenty minutes or so before I had to send him on his way. I had an appointment with Mark the Barber at 2:00 pm myself so needed to shower and change as well. Thanking Kenneth for the grand, grand ride, we made plans to do much the same again, on as regular a basis as everyone's busy schedules allow. Map and stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1156943096#.Vy0ZME0R_qs.email

Hello Gentle Breezaholics! Trust all the juiceheads, especially Josinta, made it to the java bar! Thanks to one and all for the lovely, lovely outing and wonderful comaraderie, especailly to Tyrannosaurus Tinka for his paleolithic punishing pace! I apologize for not sending this along sooner but Bad Boy and Jack Rabbit Gilliana, [She makes Lance look like he rides a tricycle!],  took the stuffing out of me, earlier today, on a grand ride to Indian Rock. Field report, for yesterday's hike, below, if at all interested. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi! Everyone: We have some friends who are looking for a house to rent in town that has a garage & fenced in yard because they have a dog. If you know of anyone that has a home to rent, pls let us know. Paul & Mary Lee

Patrick, Congratulations to you and Corinne. Wish we could be there, but sorry that a trip north isn't possible right now. I have lost your mailing address: Would you please send it to me. Thanks, Marilyn (aka fingare, or is it digitale)
Patrick, I have lost your address. Please mail it to me. Thanks, Mike


Sorry we will miss you again .  We are out of town from the 12 to 19th.  Sure you will have a good time.  Almost worth staying in town for the Mac and cheese! Congratulations on your anniversary. Pauline and Mick

Hello!! Sorry for the delay in replying - unfortunately we are already engaged on the 14th - but Happy Anniversary all the same! We will miss you. 

Hi... hope u r all good.. This is rishi your guide in madurai . Me and my wife doing good. How is life? Tourist season over and I am trying to go to farm to work for a month and little more.. Whats special in life.. ?. Sometimes I felt bad that I couldn't touch with u all who touched my heart. If u r in What's app share with me.. my mobile no.  Keep in touch.. regards to all. Miss u. If u have plan to india pls let me know. . Love Rishi 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment