Wednesday 4 May 2016

Bad Boy Thunderstorm Blues: Wednesday, May 4th!

It is wrong always, everywhere, and for anyone, to believe anything upon insufficient evidence. -William Kingdon Clifford, mathematician and philosopher (4 May 1845-1879)


Thanks Patrick for making this lengthy somewhat slog of a hike (except for the scenery and people of course) into an interesting journey. I enjoyed it from Calgary where we are getting acquainted with a spanking new grandson Kobi Alan Jungen born on April 20 to our son and daughter in law.
 

Sounds like another very enjoyable outing for the OF folks. I was just thinking you may soon have to include an index or reference list so I will know who all the nick names belong to as I do enjoy the light hearted nature gently poking fun at one and all. We should be
 

Home later this week so hope to join y'all for the Monday hike next week. Also I am thinking of going on the Mother's Day Tea hike with The folks who invited our group along somewhere along an old fur brigade trail in Garnet Valley. Cheers, St Kilian

Hello St Grandfather! Congratulations, indeed, on Kobi Alan! What a wonderful experience! All the best to the parents, as well, of course!

Thank you for your kind comments on the Hike Diaries! Loads and loads of fun and another simply remarkable outing for this "boy" from Vancouver, new to all the surrounding wonders of this incredible landscape.


Anyway, a great outing which gave my tired legs a very good stretch. I'm supposed to ride to Seacrest with Bad Boy this morning, We have arranged to meet in the hospital parking lot as he only has to glide down Carmi, as you know. Will give him a call shortly to confirm ride. Forecast is for showers and perhaps a thunderstorm or two so perhaps we might postpone outing until tomorrow.

At any rate, I will be on the Mother's Day Fur Brigade Trail hike as well. Marian and Tim invited me to join them. We will be carpooling from their place so perhaps we should be in touch to ensure that we take as few vehicles as possible. Look forward to seeing you then and on Monday's hike as well. Anyway, let me know what you think and we'll plan accordingly. Travel safely. Cheers, Patrizzio!
This is what I appended to album I sent out to The Sisterhood!

PS: I've include Lady Dar and parts of her garden in album as I took the snaps while we were waiting for Mary Lee to collect her for birthday lunch, to which I was not invited, I might forcefully remind everyone!


Hello Cousine Cousin! Thanks for sending along directions to your place for Sunday's outing. I have taken the liberty of forwarding your message to St Kilian as he mentioned he was interested in the hike.

Have missed you both, terribly, so I trust tennis is going well.
Anyway, a great outing yesterday which gave my stiff legs a very good stretch. I'm supposed to ride to Seacrest with Bad Boy this morning. We have arranged to meet in the hospital parking lot as he only has to glide down Carmi. Forecast is for showers and perhaps a thunderstorm or two but we'll be roaring along, faster than a speeding train so we'll outrun the rain! At any rate, very much looking forward to the Mother's Day Fur Brigade Trail hike and catching up with you both. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi again, St Kilian! In case you wish to meet at the Dunn's. Cheers, Patrizzio!
OK then.......will plan to meet u guys at Dunns house then........can walk there from my house like almost next door! Cheers.......Kilian


Hi Famiglia Dunn! I just heard from St Kilian and he plans to join us on Sunday's hike. He will walk over to you place to be there at 10:00 am. I just wanted to let you know in case there is an issue regarding carpool vehicles. I'm happy to take my car if we need to do so. Must away to bed as I'm joining Big Al's hike tomorrow morning. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Thanks Patrick, We should be able,to travel to Peachland (Hardy Falls) in two cars. Tim, Marian, Aart, Jos, Pam, Kilian mad Paul. Cheers, Tim

Hi Bad Boy! Just a quick note to thank you, once again, for the more than grand ride! I trust this might well be the start of many, many more. Guess we had the timing right as we had quite a downpour here about half an hour ago! Hope to see you soon, either hiking or cycling. Let me know when you might like to ride again and we'll plan accordingly. 

In case it works, I'm riding with Gilliana, on Friday, probably to Naramata, so you are more than welcome to join us if you are free and interested. Will be a pretty gentle outing as she tends to need to stop quite frequently. I just ride ahead, slowly, or circle somewhere. I'd like to make Indian Rock my destination. In the past she waits at the turn-off to Chute Lake while I have gone all the way to the community below, cattle guards be damned! Anyway, let me know your thoughts and we'll plan accordingly. My biased, skewed account of today's ride, below, if interested. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Over the course of Monday's hike, Bad Boy and I had talked about riding together on Wednesday. He called about 7:30 am to confirm outing. Forecast had predicted some scattered showers over the course of the morning, as well as a thunderstorm or two, around 3:00 pm, perhaps 4:00 pm. When I mentioned this to Keen Ken he dismissed it out of hand and our ride was on. We were to rendezvous in the parking lot of Penticton Hospital as he lives on Carmi, just before sub-station, in a gated community, Carmi Heights, I believe.

At any rate I was there a few minutes before he came whizzing down the hill and we met on Government and were heading for OK Falls, initially. Wind was out of the North at about 13 kph so we had a nice push along Eastside Road. Took McLean Creek Road and since this is a far less travelled road we had more of a chance to chat. Soon into OK Falls and then on towards Oliver, although we weren't going that far south, only to Seacrest Road. Once at Gallagher Lake we took a dipsy-doodle into Gallagher Lake Village Park to take a look at where Dave Whitton is currently building a home. Not sure if we saw his lot or not but when I last chatted with him he said his house was overlooking the river so I think we did ride by the construction site. Then a quick detour to show Bad Boy the distillery there, Dubh Glas, just at the north end of Frontage Road. I'd been to a tasting there, two or three weeks ago, and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Grant Stevely, owner/distiller, is a wonderful individual and his products are superb!

Back on 97 to cross the Okanagan River and we were on the approach to Seacrest Hill. This would be the second time I'd ridden here, in the last month or so, and I'm starting to feel reasonably comfortable with the climb. Hardly any traffic so we huffed and puffed our way to the top, passing Covert Farms Family Estate before making our way to Willowbrook Road. Now we had to face a head wind but it wasn't quite as strong as I had anticipated so was pleased about that. Once again, traffic was almost non-existent so we were able to ride, side by each, most of the time, chatting amicably.

Not long before we had reached the tiny community of Willowbrook, then Mahoney Lake and after a few short, gentle climbs, we were zooming past See Ya Later and I was able to clock 63.4 kph on the new stretch of tarmac there. Had to brake as soon I was at the bottom of this first hill as the curves of The Wall start shortly thereafter and the road is both rough and pitted. Furthermore, it is often littered with debris, sand and small stones, light gravel in places, so one needs to proceed relatively slowly and carefully, particularly on the tight bends and curves. 

Still, we made it down without mishap and then the reward, another adrenaline rush descent on the long downhill straightaway there. Bad Boy was able to clock just over 60 kph but I could only hit around 54 kph. Mad Man Mayert has racing handle bars so he can crouch much lower than I'm able to do, with my regular bars, (My lower back won't allow such prolonged crouching, unfortunately, for me.), so his riding profile is much more aerodynamically streamlined. As well, the road surface here is pretty good but I'm still a tad wary about some of the spots one encounters. I've ridden it enough times to be reasonably familiar with conditions and, not being a speed demon, anyway, I was content to let Bad Boy have bragging rights!

On into OK Falls and then back on Eastside Rd. Wind seemed a tad stronger here, as it usually is when out of the north, although Bad Boy wouldn't know as he was more than content to draft behind me all the way to South Main, letting my older legs take all the punishment! Managed to leave him behind on climb up Dawson and took a bit of rest where it intersects with Dartmouth, circling for hours until he caught up! After that I followed him but by this time he was going so slowly that there was little, if any point in even trying to draft, although the head wind was blowing too, too fiercely for our mutual liking. 

Took a jog up Commercial Way to avoid some of the heavy traffic on Carmi and once we were back on Carmi we had a very good, long climb up as far as Cleland Drive where entrance to Carmi Heights is to be found. No sight of Bushed Bad Boy so I continued on to just past the sub-station and then circled back to find him waiting for me, spread-eagled on the ground, bike abandoned further down Carmi, right across the entranceway to his gated community, speed dialing 911! Since it is one of my basic riding tenets never to touch the Dreaded Burning Ground until the very end of the ride, I chided him for his silly behaviour and he grudgingly showed me the unit where he and Joyce live. 

He did invite me in for a drink but declined to accept his kind offer as I wanted to log 100 km and knew that by the time I was close to our place I'd have at least 88 km on the clock. Thanked Bad Boy for the wonderful ride and amicable company and waved goodbye. Down Carmi with a slight dipsy-doodle detour along Dartmouth and then King to see if this was an alternate route to Government. Not really so back on the Government to Ellis.

Then my route regulare to PTC, [Funnily enough, I noticed Phantom Fantini, cycling mate, (just back from Australia where he's been for last six months), putting his bike into his van, in the parking lot near the roundabout, just down from the Prague CafĂ©, so I said hello as I circled. He had an appointment so needed to be off. (Of course, I couldn't stop either!) We agreed to touch bases over next day or so and set up a ride.], along Lakeshore/Riverside with only a few loops of the side-streets there collect the necessary mileage and then I was headed home, the wind at my back for most of the way, allowing me to maintain my basic AVG, 20 kph.Was quite pleased, given the overall distance and the number of decent climbs we had to negotiate. And not a drop of rain! Just finishing off the account and the thunder is rumbling overhead. Had one pretty good downpour already so Lady Dar will not have to water the garden this evening. Happy, as well, of course, that the two rain barrels are being filled as I scribed.  Map and stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1154225324#.Vyp5N7DM-KU.email

Hello Patrizzio the Younger and Grumpy Grammarian! Wonderful to talk to you, Patrizzio! Lovely to hear your voice and know all goes so well with you, your studies/work and Jo Nesbø! Here is the list of malt I mentioned:
Some of what we'll be tasting at A Dram Come True, at Hycroft Mansion, on Friday, May13th:

  • Ardbeg 10 Year
  • Auchentoshan American Oak
  • Bowmore Small Batch
  • Highland Park 10 Year  and Dark Origins
  • Macallan 1824 Amber and 1824 Gold
  • Stroanchie 10 Year
  • Amrut Fusion Single Malt Whisky
  • Canadian Rockies 21 Year
  • Gordon & Macphail Linkwood 15 Year
  • Tullibardine 500 Sherry Cask
  • The Glenlivit Founder's Reserve, Nadurra First Fill, 15 Year and 18 Year
  • Abelour 12 Year and A'bunadh
  • The Dalmore 12, 15 and 18 Year

Here is the title I believe you chatted about with Cora Lee: On the Move: A Life by Oliver Sacks. Must away as Lady Dar is calling for me to prepare a salad. She'll be doing turkey burgers on the bbq and she wants me to open a couple of bottles of local wine, a white to savour while food preparation is underway and a red to knock back with the burgers! Will probably put on a fire as with the thunderstorms it has cooled off quite a bit. Fondestos from Mme Corandre, to her favourite Swedish Twins. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Jake, (and Wild Bill!)! Trust you are well. I've been meaning to send along the album below ever since I saw you and Virginia at the book launch. No excuses but plenty of reasons! At any rate, sorry it has taken so long to send along all this. Too many hikes! Hope I'll see you on one in the not too, too distant future. Fondestos from Lady Darjeeling you you and Virginia. Cheers, Patrizzio!
  
Hi Patrick, That was me honking at you and saying, "Hi," on Ellis Street last week as you were cycling like a pro. I was just coming home after teaching art to the middle school kids at the Penticton Art Gallery.

Your photos are amazing, and give such a true picture of the area, especially after reading your journal of the day. It sounds like quite an undertaking but I really enjoy visiting the Keremeous columns and was sad to miss it. Thank goodness no one stepped on a rattlesnake. I have a bad cold, and have been coughing up a storm, and my nose has been running like a tap, so obviously I had to sit this one out. See you on the next hike, Dorothy 


Hi Emily Carr of the Okanagan! Thanks for letting me know that it was you who honked! I assumed it was a friendly blast of the horn but I didn't have time to see who was driving. I was hoping that, at some point, I'd find out. Thanks, as well, for your always appreciative, kind comments about my snaps and what I've taken to calling The Hike Diaries.

I'm delighted, of course, to learn that you are so willing and generous to share your scintillating talent with young students. I think Lady Dar might like to sign up for one of your classes as she enjoys "dabbling". She took a one-day water-colour course with Nel from Llyod Gallery, on Front Street, this past February, I think it was, and enjoyed it muchly, although I don't think she feels that water-colour is the medium for her, (Too unforgiving as I'm sure you well know!), at least at this point.

So sorry to hear about your nasty cold. You sound as if you have had the same bug as Lady Darjeeling. She came back from Vancouver, a week ago yesterday, and was laid low! She still has a bit of a cough but is feeling much, much better, so much so that she joined The Flatlanders for their regular Wednesday outing. They carpooled to Liquidity, off Oliver Ranch Road, and then walked to Blue Mountain for a tasting! Quite the group!!!

For my part I had a glorious ride with Bad Boy, (Ken Mayert), today. My biased, skewed account of today's ride, below, if interested. At any rate, I do hope you are fully recovered soon as you are sorely missed by one and all. I plan to hike with Tyrannosaurus Tinka tomorrow. (In case you didn't receive mailing and are interested and able:

Greetings to all Gentle Breeze hikers:

There is going to be a GB alternative to the regular OF hike this Thursday, May 5th. If you are interested in coming along, please, respond to me by Wed. midnight. The area we will be going to is not particularly environmentally vulnerable, so we could be a larger group.

Details:

·         Meet at the Summerland IGA at 9:00
·         Carpool and drive to the Rippley’s gate (Start of our X-mas picnic hike)
·         Hike to the SE to a point overlooking Deer Ridge
·         Loop back by a different route
·         Slow and easy, 3 hrs max
·         Refreshments anywhere except GO – we don’t like them any more I wonder how many we will be…Cheers, Al)

Hope to see you soon, Dorothea! All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Mr T(for Tyrannosaurus!): I'd be delighted to join you on tomorrow's outing so thanks for providing such a wonderful, viable alternative! See you at IGA at 9:00 am domani. Cheers, Patrizzio!
 

Hello Boithday Goil! I gather the party was well attended and much fun. Knowing this makes me even grumpier not to have been invited!!! Glad you enjoyed my snaps, nevertheless.



I'm delighted to be riding with you on Friday. I have an appointment with my barber at 2:00 pm so I'd like to go around 10:00 am, if that is convenient for you. As mentioned, we could meet at Township 7 then and proceed towards Naramata Village. I've invited Bad Boy to join us if he is free and interested. Told him I'd like to make Indian Rock my destination and that on our past ride you waited at the turn-off to Chute Lake while I have gone all the way to the community below, cattle guards be damned! Anyway, let me know your thoughts and we'll plan accordingly. Hello to the Toothless Wonder! All the best. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Sounds good Patrick. I'll be at township 7 at 10am  - I won't be late so you don't have to put your feet on the ground waiting!!! Read some of your todays exploits - don't think I could keep up with that. Great for Ken to come too on Friday. see you bye Gill

Hi again, Gilliana! Great! That is one of the things I adore about you, you are incredibly sensitive to my biking needs, unlike so many of my other, so-called biking friends! Haven't heard from Bad Boy, as of this writing, but it would be fun if he does join us. Cheers, Patrizzio "Afraid of the Burning Ground" Neurotic!

Hi! Patrick ................ Thanks for the pics from our bike ride. I lost the gang when I stopped to chat with a friend along the trail (just before crossing over the bridge by water dam). Glad that you were able to join us. Sorry, you weren't invited to the 'Birthday Party' but it was for 'Girls ONLY'. We got an amazing turnout of about 18 gals with a wonderful assortment of delicious dishes & summer salads & yummy desserts.

Just to let you know that I will be unavailable to do the next 3 Monday Hikes. I have a girlfriend coming in from Kelowna on Monday for a hike & visit. The following Monday, I will be in Boise, ID visiting a girlfriend. The next Monday, May 23 is my volunteer day at Soupeteria kitchen. Will catch up with you on Mon. May 30th hike before I head back to ON on June 1st. Happy Hiking & Biking!! Mary Lee


Hi Whirlwind Woman! Thanks for letting me know that you won't be around for next little while. You'll be missed terribly! I knew you had stopped to chat with another friend, last Tuesday, so wasn't worried. Not sure about your schedule but in case it works, I'm riding with Gilliana, meeting at Township 7 at 10:00 am, on Friday, so you are more than welcome to join us if you are free and interested. Bad Boy might even join us. Anyway, let me know your thoughts and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Patrick Cool group!  Thanks for the note. Hope you have been behaving.  What are you doing for your anniversary? Please advise. Jo-Anne




 

No comments:

Post a Comment