Tuesday 17 May 2016

Colleen's Colleens on the KVR: Tuesday, May 17th!

A change in perspective is worth 80 IQ points. -Alan Kay, computer scientist (b. 17 May 1940) 


Up at 5:49 am to leave Lady Dar sleeping peacefully as I tip-toed into the kitchen, sliding the bedroom door closed, behind me, as I prepared my morning mug of java. Had a daunting amount of email to "attack", especially after having been away in The Big Smoke, for this past weekend, so hoped to make even a small dent in my mountain of unanswered correspondence before making myself ready to join Colonel Klink and her Amazons on their weekly ride.

Hi Everyone, We are meeting at the dog park at 9 am to bike north on the KVR towards Naramata. After yesterday's hike I may not get past Poplar Grove Rd. but I can only try. Hope you can make it  Colleen Looking forward to our ride tomorrow. I'll see you at the dog park.Hope I can find it this time. Jos I’ll be at the dog park. Renee I can't make it today.  Have fun! Carol I will do the same as Gill, i will be at Hillside around 8:20 or so Gill. Kathy

Hello The Sisterhood! Thanks so much for including me in another memorable junket. I'm sorry I lost touch, after Arawana, but I suspect you might well have turned back once there. At any rate, a glorious outing so thanks again. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! My biased account of events, below, if so inclined to read:

Left the house at 8:45 am and made my way to rendezvous with Colonel Klink and The Sisterhood at the Dog Park just off Industrial W. Button Woman and Rider Schneider were slathering on sun-block when I arrived so I continued to circle until the rest of the gang drove up, unloaded their cycles and visited as only The Goils can do. Shortly after 9:00 am Klinkenheimer ordered the cavalry to mount up and we set off. Unfortunately, Kathleen's chain came off just as she was preparing to join the peleton. Helpful Hanneke stayed to lend a handwhile I rode after the vanishing convoy, catching up with Cinderella a few blocks away I and relayed the news to her. SHe said she would let the others know and I turned back to see how the summarily abandoned were faring.

I had just turned onto Fairford Drive when I was delighted to spy the Legal Eagle and Bike Mechanic Button riding across the small bridge over the creek which parallels Industrial. Following Hell-Bent, (One of the reasons I wanted to ride with the group is that I had never cycled the KVR in town before and I needed to become better acquainted with the route here.), on Atkinson until we rejoined the group, waiting for us, not far from Safeway, on Calgary, almost the start of the KVR. Didn't take long and we were almost on Eckhardt. I hadn't realized it but the route cuts behind Pen Hi, skirting the playing fields there and we came across a number of students playing Frisbee Golf, their attentive teacher calling to them to hold off until we passed.

Once we crossed Government, I was familiar with the route so I could pay more attention to my riding companions. Josinta and I had a lovely chat, almost all the way to Vancouver, about their weeeknd in Yakima and ours in Vancouver. Once on the gravel surface the group thinned out and just before Lakeview Cemetery we ran into Gilliana coming the otherway. She'd been riding the KVR, from the crossing on Naramata Raod, just down from Hillside Winery, since 8:30 am, waiting to hook up. While some stopped to chat I went ahead, with the Unflagging Bookworm, until Marjorie Morningstar shot past in hot pursuit of  Renée Rapido. Couldn't resist trying to catch the Speeding Sisters so I shifted into a higher gear and joined the race. After a few minutes I managed to gain a bit of ground on Meteoric Marge but I could barely catch a glimpse of Ever-receding Renée

Still, I knew that there was probably enough distance before Naramata Road, for me to close the gap if I pushed harder. Not a big deal but I simply wanted to see if I could catch up. And I was, surprising myself, given her unrelenting pace, able to do so, drafting behind her as we came to the crossing. Once over the road, we pulled up to wait for the rest, beside a number of huge clusters of Kimberley Wild Rose bushes, [I think I'm correct but please advise, Dear Reader!], their blooms gorgeous, their perfume intoxicating. Shortly thereafter the rest of The Sisterhood arrived and I was able to jolly them into allowing me to snap a number of group shots. 

Then, back in the saddle again, and we were off. This time Chatterbox Woman joined Perpetual Motion Martin while I huffed and puffed behind them as they knattered about all and sundry. Next stop was to be near the intersection of Arawana Forestry Road and the KVR Trail where there is a gazebo affording spectacular vistas of the lake below. I knew there was a parking lot, further along, so I left the Speedster Sisters, here, thinking I'd circle until they caught up. By the time I'd reached the paved lot and circled for a minute, or so, I realized that I might as well continue on to the Little Tunnel as I understood that was the goal for the day. I'd never ridden beyond this point so thought I could go another three or four km beyond and then, by the time I was back, the group might well be there. 

Just before I headed on two young women rode through the lot so I asked them if they happened to see a clutch of woman near the Arawana gazebo. They had so I knew I shouldn't wait any longer and made my way, along the more than pleasant, almost tree tunnel towards the magnificent rock face through which the train tunnel passes. The vistas here are stunning beyond belief but I had already decided that I would stop on the return leg, with any luck in the company of The Sisterhood. 

However, once over the wonderfully smooth tarmac which runs on each side of the tunnel, and through it, one returns to gravel but now not the well-graded, well-tended surface south of the tunnel. Here, the going is much, much rougher with lots of sand, loose gravel and stones of varying sizes. I took, whenever I could, to cycling on the pine-needle covered, slanting, narrrow shoulder, if that was possible. Here the surface was far smoother and consequently not as jarring, jolting my spine and wrists less forcefully. Still, I enjoyed the ride, concentrating on the trail ahead rather than the splendid views whenever the trees thinned. Met two riders coming the other way but other than that I was all alone so took to ringing my bell, from time to time, to let any hungry grizzlies know I was fair game fare!

Rode for 3.5 km and then turned back as I still hoped I might rejoin The Babes. Going was much easier on the downhill grade as I was able to maintain a faster pace and the uneven, bumpy, bumpy surface had less of a hold on my tires. Sooner than I expected, Littel Tunnel hov einto view but no Femmes Fatales! Bitterly disappointed, I snapped a few photos, chatted briefly with a fellow rider, resting on the bench just outside the south side of the tunnel, then headed for home. Really appreciated being back on the far more forgiving, negotiable hard-pack and my goal, now, was to try to up my AVG. Was around 12 kph by the time I stopped at the tunnel and I wanted to see if I could reach 15 kph when home. Was often just over or below 30 kph, usually between 22 kph-25 kph but it felt simply wonderful to glide along, the view opening up the closer I came to leaving Naramatia behind. 

Had achieved 14 kph by the time I crossed Naramata Road, sailing now between vineyards, in full leaf by now. But try as I might, I knew I was running out of the downhill distance I would need to reach my goal. Still, it was a more than wonderful ride, exploring a tad more new territory and sharing the first part of the outing with Colleen's Colleens! Thanks Lovely Ladies all. Cheers, Patrizzio! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1172797494#.Vzt8jelluNo.email

Hi Patrick, Your photos were incredible! Thank you for forwarding them to me. The colour and composition were amazing. I would like to have a few of them for my own use for facebook. Is that a possibility, or do you maintain full copyright. I understand if you do not wish me to post some of them. I wish I had taken a few more of you, and I will do so next time. All the best to you,
Dorothy
 

Hi Patrick, Thank you very much for the invitation. I have to decline at this time because we are in Calgary enjoying visiting our family and friends. Back to Summerland on Saturday. Regards Mike Hi Patrick, Thank you for including me. Unfortunately, I cannot make tomorrow night nor next Tuesday but am interested! So please keep me in the loop. Kathy

Hello Michaelo, et al! Trust your visit in Calgary is going well. I wasn't sure when you were back so thought I'd include you in invitation in case you were available. At any rate, we enjoyed a grand evening with Spumoni, Gilliana and Phillipo. Lady Dar "coached" Jack Rabbit as she hadn't played for some time, although she really didn't need much help, just an hour glass, as Spamela noted! Foxy Fillipo didn't need any advice as he was still a very cool customer even after 40 years of non-playing himself! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Greetings to all GBs: With Pam's blessings I am using her mailing list to let you know that there will be a GB version of Rick's hike. The plan is to go an hour later and in the opposite direction. With little luck we might meet in the middle of nowhere and, more importantly, have some refreshments together, for the sake of the old times.
Details:

  • Meet at the usual place, Pent. HH at 9:00 (Summerlanders at IGA at 8:40)
  • Drive to the Radio Observatory near White Lk
  • Hike E towards the Helipad
  • Hopefully meet with Rick's group
  • Regardless of the above, loop back to vehicles
  • Approx 3-4 hrs
  • The terrain in the lower part is quite civilized, but the closer to the Helipad we get, the rougher it gets. (Canyons with deadfall, serious obstacles)
  • The terrain is not particularly environmentally sensitive, so we can be a larger group
  • No need to reply, but we do not wait Al
Dear Patrick Well done! Keep painting. See you in July safe travels to Winnipeg.
Cheers for now Jo-Anne


Hi Roma and Leonard! I think I replied but seem to have been so busy that I can't seem to remember! At any rate, thank you for the anniversary wishes. In fact, we are in Manitoba at the moment. Here, in Falcon Lake, to celebrate Corinne's parent's 71st wedding anniversary! Now that is an accomplishment! Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Dad lets make this!

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/grilled-green-tomatoes-with-burrata-and-green-juice



Hello, you two. Noreen will be here in May, for Cashel's (Liam's daughter) graduation from her Master's in Social Work at UBC. Then she's coming to the coast. She'll also be here in August, for Sasha's wedding (Shauna's daughter) who is getting married at her property on Mayne Island, September 1st.
It would be *so great* to see you. Anytime! We need a cat sitter if you want our place the last three nights of Aug. (To go to Sasha's wedding.) I hope you had a great time at your party. Love, Maya
 

No comments:

Post a Comment