Sunday 29 May 2016

Burns Street 1st Anniversary Blues: Sunday, May 29th!

Don't discuss yourself, for you are bound to lose; if you belittle yourself, you are believed; if you praise yourself, you are disbelieved. -Michel de Montaigne, essayist (1533-1592)



A word in a dictionary is very much like a car in a mammoth motorshow -- full of potential, but temporarily inactive. -Anthony Burgess, author (1917-1993) 

Just a year ago today Stanchion Man drove the large moving van from The Heartbreak Terrace to Penticton, via the Coquihalla, to back the rented behemoth over the lava rock close to the front patio steps, for easier unloading, and the move into our new home in The Okanagan began! Helped by Chloë and then Lurkin' Lynne and Jugos Dom Pedro, plus two young lads we'd hired, from Kelowna, surprsingly, it really didn't take all that long to unload.

After the 26ft U-Haul was finally empty, we cleared enough space in the Rumpus Room to sit around the round dining-room table and feast on the wonderful dinner the Naramatians had so generously provided! Many toasts followed as we each recounted those parts of the move, either in Vancouver, en route to Penticton or at Burns Street itself, that had provided more than enough of a challenge! Nevertheless, everything, overall, went more smoothly than we could have hoped or expected, so thanks to one and all for starting us off with such an auspicious beginning! Hip Hip Hooray! Hip Hip Hooray!

Both Lady Dar and I can only shake our heads, today, looking at the changes we have managed to make, again, only with the on-going help of Big Al, Jugos Dom Pedro, Ragin' Bull, Teens and perhaps, most importantly, Coat-Hanger Durston, this past January/February, to The Burns Street Gin Joint and Hot Sheets Hotel since that very day. Thank-you, thank-you, thank-you to these generous, unbelievably competent, tireless, tireless workers and to all those welcome Freeloaders since, who have made Burns Street, not merely a house, but rather an inviting home for all our wonderful, wonderful friends and relatives! Hurry to reserve a room and make plans to visit as the rates are going up on June 1st! 


Hi Patrick First of all, we are back to Calgary now, so apologize for the late respond. And again, thank you for a wonderful chronicle of the bike ride. I know the trail, indeed last time Mariola and I we were there last year a few sandy sections made a little trouble for her. I have changed her tires for more aggressive mountain type ones, and this has improved her riding on such trails. We haven't been back on this one since, so next time you guys are going we would gladly join you. We can go for a nice ride along KVR here in Summerland as well. I will call you when back next week, probably around Thursday to check for bridge or bike, or a hike maybe. Thanks again, my regards to Corinne. Cheers. Mike
 

Hi Patrick I forgot, the estimate, yes the Contractor showed up, measured everything, advised what has to be done, but didn't give me the exact amount of the cost. This should come by email anytime now. Cheers. Mike

Hi Michaelo! Bon Voyage! I was just about to send out a notice to the bridge group. Too, too bad that you won't be around this Tuesday as I was hoping to be able to have two tables with all the new recruits we have managed to sign-up. At any rate, will still have two tables and the "Dummy" can move between tables if I can't find a replacement for you! We will be hosting so looking forward to Chicago after rubber bridge last week!

Would be great to ride the KVR with you and Mariola, at some point, even if not with Colonel Klink's band of beauties. Glad things are moving along with respect to deck. Travel safely to Calgary and do send along a message when back. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dear Luigi! I happened to say to Josinta, on one of our last hikes, that I hadn't seen you for a bit. She mentioned that you had to undergo surgery of some sort, hence your absence. I've been meaning to send along a message to wish you a full and speedy recovery. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that you are missed, and terribly so. Trust we'll see you, (and Mad Max for that matter!), in the not too, too distant future. Best wishes and Cheers, Patrizzio! Get Well Soon Dear Under-the-Weather Luigi! Trust you will be up and about, hiking the hills in no time flat! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Douglas Jameson Where has the time gone? Can't believe it's been a year since you ABANDONED us.... sigh....

Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn We didn't abandon you, Gran Duggacio, just trying to lead you to the Promised Land! Hallelujah!

Alan Waldron Oh lordy..a year already! Hard to believe but so glad you guys have settled in so nicely. Actually I'm guessing it's more like everyone knows you now and they probably come calling after you as you ride through the town like the intro of some classic European film. Complete with a baguette and bottle of wine I'm your basket!!

Patrick James Dunn I actually needed the cavalry to come and save me this afternoon as I managed to have a flat tire just as I reached Jugos Dom Pedro's ranch! They are in Iceland at the moment so I called Lady Dar. Of course she had her phone turned off so I walked to Legend Distillery, about a km down the road. It was raining, on and off, so thought I'd hole up there and drown my sorrows, until she came to collect me. As chance would have it, she was actually in Naramata Village, delivering a book to a friend and pulled up beside me. Talk about RoadStar! Cheers, Patrizzio The Lucky!

Dear Favourite Summerlandians! As you know, Lady Darjeeling has already invited you for a sumptuous feast on Saturday, June 4th. Unfortunately Famiglia Dronkers is otherwise engaged so I have been instructed to send along this missive to inquire whether both couples might be able to come for dinner on Friday, June 3rd, instead. If this is not possible, we will stay with the original date and simply toast Long-Suffering Josinta and Pearly Whites, in absentia!

Lady Darjeeling begs you reply, at your earliest convenience, preferably by the next post, waiting, as she is, with bated breath, to learn how much Kraft Dinner she should purchase, for the aforementioned feast! In closing, rest assured, dearest friends, who reside, in sheer opulence, beneath the benign slopes of Giant's Head, I remain, your humble, ever obsequious servant and scribe, Pen Pal Patrizzio!


Dear Corinne and Patrick, Thank you for the invite for Friday June 3rd.
We look very much forward to it, and please Corinne tell us what we can bring. Jos and Aart
Hi Patrick and Corinne, So sorry to hear that Saturday doesn't work for Aart and Jos. Unfortunately, we are camping Friday night with Paul and Charlotte. Well, it isn't the camping part with Paul and Charlotte that is unfortunate, rather the not being available for Corinne's wonderful feast, your fabulous company, etc. At the risk of being too forward, would the following Friday or Saturday work for everyone? If not, of course we would still be available this coming Saturday. Looking forward to a happy resolution, Marian and Tim
Hi Principessa! Trust you are well. Sorry it has taken me a bit to send these along. No excuses but plenty of reasons. Are you hiking tomorrow? Cheers, Patrizzio! PS: I'll sending another couple of messages as I don't know how much file capacity you have for each message. Let me know if you receive everything and can open them. Principessa: The  4 zip files are numbered 2-5 as the first one was far too large! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Synchromesh Sondra and Ragin'!Trust you are both well. Must apologize for not sending this album along sooner and thanking you both for the more than fabulous bottle of wine you presented us with. [Part of the reason for this message is that as I whizzed past Syncromesh yesterday, I realized I'd not sent you a thank you!] Fondestos from Lady Dar, attending a talk at Oasis, the United Church she has joined here. As mentioned, you are both welcome any time. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Ragin'! In case you don't know about VFFS, thought you might be interested in these films. On another matter, can you forward the message I just sent with the 40th album to Sondra. The email address I have isn't valid. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Dylan and Pénélope! Trust you are both well. We certainly enjoyed the Rosé and Pinot Gris we purchased at the Farmer's Market a few weeks ago. I have been meaning to send along this snap since then. No excuses but plenty of reasons!

On an interesting riding note, for me at least, on my ride to OK Falls yesterday, as I made
my way, south, up McLean Creek Road, I passed a couple, on bikes, stopped on the shoulder.
A few minutes later, the young woman came up alongside me and I asked them if they were training for the GranFondo. [You might remember this opening gambit!] I relate this incident, as coincidentally, I met you both, almost a year ago on McLean Creek Road. However, as you might recall, on that ride we were coming out of OK Falls. Anyway, just wanted to say hello and say how much we enjoyed your wine. All the best, Cheers, Patrizzio!
Pics: Last year, this year. Mary Lee at this past Saturday's market!

Hello Bridge Folk! Lady Dar and I will be hosting bridge this coming Tuesday. If everyone, other than Michaelo, (He is, or will be, in Calgary.), can make it, we can field two tables! Let me know if you plan to attend and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Old Farts, Here are the plans for Thursday’s hikes.
The Old Farts: -Jack Z. will be leading this hike. Sometime this week, he plans to take a trip to the proposed area, and will decide on the starting point at that time. -meet at 0800 at Home Hardware parking lot (0740 at IGA for folks in S’land) -carpool and make our way to the area north of Naramata. -we will explore the area to the east of Paradise Ranch -return and decide on a place for coffee and debriefing -limit of 12 people in this group, so let me (Jim French) know soon via email.
The Gentle Breezes: -Al Tinka will be leading this group -will do much the same as the Old Farts, but not for as long and not as challenging -meet at 0800…(note the time earlier than usual) at Home Hardware parking lot (0740 at IGA for folks in S’land -carpool and head to the same area as above -explore for 3 to 4 hours and return to cars -return for coffee and debriefing -please let Al know if you are planning to attend.
I hope I haven’t missed anything! Cheers, Jim Hi Big Bad Al! I'd like to join the hike on Thursday if there is still room. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!
 
Although I was up just after 7:00 am I had forgotten that the power was going to be shut-off around 8:30 am this morning. Lady Dar had remembered the service outtage and when she jumped out of bed, but minutes before the lights were to go out, she called a warning to me, happily messaging away in the study. I was just sending a message and literally shut down my laptop a second or so before the hydro crew hit the switch! This changed everything as I had planned my day quite differently until we were back in the Dark Ages. Wanted to go for a ride, at some point, but had plenty of other things to accomplish beforehand, or so I thought. At any rate, nothing for it now so I made a hearty sandwich for breakfast, (Had imagined a fry-up earlier!), and suited up. 

Lady Dar was off to Oasis a few minutes before I left, around 10:00 am. She was actually going a tad earlier so that she could have a steaming cup of tea! At any rate, I made for the PTC to start my route regualre along Lakeshore to Riverside and did a few extended dipsy-doodles there to have about 15 km on the clock by the time I was headed up Vancouver. My first goal was the daunting hill leading up to Reservoir Road to the city landfill and beyond that, Spiller Road, where Famiglia Robson reside. Having driven this route, for the first time, last Tuesday, I had a pretty good idea about what was in store for me. However, as I need not remind you, Dear Reader, driving a particular route is certanly not the same as riding over same.

All was going quite well until I passed Township 7 and then started the very steep incline there, just up from the intersection of McMillan and Naramata, when the rain, more a bit of drizzle and mist, at this point, started. Looking north the hills and lake were shrouded, completely socked-in so I knew I was probably in for a bit of a drenching. Mildly annoying as forecast had predicated rain around 3:00 pm! Anyway, I kept going and although the unrelieved climb was a very, very good pull, it wasn't so steep that it was overly, overly daunting and I plugged away. Not long and my boots were squelching but the road levels off, a tad, before one reaches the entrance to the landfill so a bit of relief. Past the turn-off up Greyback Mountain Road, one turns onto Spiller and a series of smaller hills awaits. Again, nothing compared to the earlier slopes so I was feeling pretty good, in spite of being pretty damp. 

I was wearing a reasonably waterproof vest so my core was fine although my shirt sleeves were soaked and my legs were streaming. Although the wind was out of the north at 19 kph hour I was relatively protected here so not particularly uncomfortable. Once I past Robson's Redoubt, I continued on as I was curious to see what lay beyond. Jack Rabbit had mentioned, last Tuesday, when we were playing bridge at their place, that she felt the section ahead was far more difficult than what lay behind. Soon became apparent that this was the case as shortly after climbing a bit, around a curve or two, the road narrowed and then began to snake upward in what looked like a very daunting climb indeed. 

At this point I had logged just over 25 km so decided it was time to turn around, not looking forward to the coming downhill run as I knew the chill factor would be quite high. Certainly was but I didn't  zoom for much of the way. With the wet road surface I didn't want to take any chances so rode my brakes on the steepest descents, only allowing "free fall' when surface ahead looked smooth and clear. Soon back on Naramata, chilled but safe, and then the battle with the head wind began in earnest. Still, the sun came out from behind the heavy clouds as I rode past Ruby Blues and I felt its welcome warmth. Must say, I felt very pleased about the recent climb and thought it would provide an excellent training course for the hill sections of the coming GranFondo on July 10th.

A few minutes later the rain/drizzle cleared and I actually started to dry out, the strong wind blow-drying me! The ride was rather enjoyable now and I even looked forward to the short climbs I knew were ahead as the exertion needed to best them warmed me further. Soon found myself going past Robinson Avenue, leading to Naramata Village, and then one last short climb around a corner to see the lovely home of Famiglia Lighthall just below me. Kept going past their driveway for a bit as I had almost registered 40 km and needed that distance to complete the goal I'd set, as far as distance, once back home. Had just turned around when I heard an aweful, tell-tale death-rattle coming from my rear tire! Sure enough, I had a flat! Hopped off my Trek and walked it back to the top of the Lighthall's, gated driveway. They are away on holiday so I knew that i was out of luck as far as any help they might provide. Still, I had high hopes that one of the many pick-ups using Naramata Road might stop and offer to take me back to Penticton, if heading that far.

In fact, two did stop but they were going to the Village. This being the case, I decided to walk to the other side of Robinson, thinking that any trucks heading south, at this point, might well be going all the way into Penticton. Not all that far to push my bike and I soon had my thumb out, to no avail, at this point, so I phoned Lady Dar. As expected, call went to voice mail. I assumed she either hadn't taken her phone with her or else it was turned off. Anyway, I left an SOS and kept hoping someone might take pity on me. Not so! Then my befuddled brain realized that Legend Distillery was only a short walk away so I decided, given the fact that it was now raining, on and off, that I'd find shelter there. I'd hole up and drown my sorrows, until she, or the local constabulary came to collect me! 

There is a place selling pottery cheek-by-jowl with Legend so I parked myself on the edge of their lot as I could see any vehicles as they negotiated the bend in the road furter north, from this vantage point, on the look-out for pick-ups or cars with empty bike racks! Called Lady Dar but with same result so was jsut about to head into Legend when who should pull up in front of me but Cora Lee! As chance would have it, she was actually in Naramata Village, delivering a book to a friend and couldn't miss her embarrassingly, ill-dressed husband. Talk about RoadStar! At any rate, once I'd recovered from the shock of the unexpected rescue I put my bike on the rack and we headed back towards Penticton. 

Lady Dar had read a review, by The Giz, (Tony Gismondi), about Monster Vineyards current Rosé so she wanted to stop there for a taste. we'd not been to the winery before, (Poplar Grove's second label.), so I was happy to take a look, although I wasn't interested in wine, at this point, more a steaming mug of java. It was raining pretty steadily by the time we reached Monster so I was much appreciative of being in a warm car. Spent about twenty minutes at the winery. While Lady Dar sipped I chatted with a chap from Saskatoon and he told us about a winery, Fort Berens Estate Winery, located in Lillooet, of all places. Another place to visit! Back home with a Riesling and a Chardonnay, (Rosé wasn't to her liking in spite of Tony's ravings!), to find that the juice was back on. Hip Hip Hooray! Cheers, Patrizzio The Lucky! Map and Stats for ride:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1190172841#.V0uHWiuii5o.email 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment