Wednesday 18 May 2016

Mandavilla Rocktrumpet Moving Day Blues: Wednesday, May 18th!

Neither a man nor a crowd nor a nation can be trusted to act humanely or to think sanely under the influence of a great fear. -Bertrand Russell, philosopher, mathematician, author, Nobel laureate (18 May 1872-1970)

A Newfoundlander is driving down a road in St. Johns - A sign in front of a restaurant reads:
HAPPY HOUR SPECIAL
Lobster Tail and Beer
'Lord tunderin' jaysus' he says to himself, 'me 3 favourite tings!'

Hi Dearest Dorothea! You are always so complimentary about my photographs that I am rather embarrassed, given the fact that I really don't feel I have much sense of composition, in particular, especially compared to your phenomenal, artistic, aesthetic eye. (However, this, ironically, makes the compliments even more wonderful!) While I try to snap what catches my fancy, given that I don't wish to become "bear bait", I usually snap away, as quickly as possible, hoping that some of the shots will capture the incredible landscape we hike through or the views we are privileged to see.


[Corinne Durston
Licenced Wedding Officiant
www.allseasonsweddings.com
250 486-6007]


I am even more chagrined about the "colour" compliment as I use the Edit feature on iPhoto, mainly the Filters option to "play" with the various effects possible. I quite enjoy this aspect as it is incredibly fascinating to see what different effects can be created with but a click! Furthermore, you should know that Lady Darjeeling is furiously adamant about insisting that I have no say, whatsoever, in home decorating, or dressing myself, for that matter! I'm sure you are aware that most males suffer from colour-blindness, to some degree or another. I can tell which stop light is red or green but distinguishing between black and blue socks, for example, is usually beyond me. My point is, (and I freely admit it), that I don't possess a highly refined sense of colour and complimentary pairings. I think this is the main reason that I'm drawn to bold, bold colours, neons and fluorescents, the brighter and gaudier the better, whether in shirts, hiking shorts or living room walls!

This being said, thank you, again, for your very, very kind, supportive words. (I made sure I read your message to Lady Dar, if only to let her know that such a distinguished artist as yourself "admired" my work. She, of course, is quite worried that this boost to my low colour self-esteem will lead to disastrous results in future home decorating projects!) Again, I'm absolutely delighted that you would like to use some or any of the shots. Please feel free to do so in whatever way or on whatever platform you choose. My main intention, in posting albums and writing about the hikes, was, and continues to be, to simply share, to capture in some small way, these marvellous experiences with the wonderful folk in the various groups.

Thank you, of course, for the snap you forwarded. Certainly much appreciated and I plan to add it to the hike album, to prove I was actually there! Enjoy Meadowlark this weekend. Perhaps we'll bump into each other at some point. If not, stay well until the next outing together. Fondestos and Cheers, Patrizzio! 


Hi, I am so sorry I missed your celebration on Sunday. Tony and I got back from Australia on May 6th and he got admitted into the hospital on May 7th. He just got out today so I've been at the hospital in my spare time. He had severe acute pancreatitis and a perforated ulcer. He had surgery last Monday and the doctor said he is very lucky considering how ill he was. I hope you both had a fabulous time celebrating and that there was enough Kraft dinner to go around :) Much love as always, E

Hello Aquitaine! [As I was composing this message, Chloƫ called to say she had seen a mouse at her place! Hence the subject line: Rats and Mice and More!] Quite upset to learn about Tony's major surgery but obviously pleased that he seems to have done so well, given the seriousness of the diagnosis. What a way to return from what I assume was a wonderful holiday! We did miss you, and terribly so, but understand completely. Best wishes to Tony for a full and speedy recovery and we trust we'll have an opportunity, in the not too, too distant future, to meet him.

Must away as I've a few chores, assigned by my Harsh Task Mistress, to do before she returns from her regular Wednesday Flatlander walk and then boozy luncheon. Fondestos from Lady Dar, in absentia, to you. (Wedding plans still on or was that "the drunkening red water", [The way one of our Japanese boarders described wine!], speaking?). Cheers, Patrizzio! 

Ha I thought this was an email about my mouse!! Hi Pest Control Officer! Just to remind you, you only own 11% of the mouse so it is actually more "our" mouse than "your" mouse! Use Upper Bench cheese in trap and Mickey won't be able to resist! Cheers, Pesky Pest Patrizzio! Please come take "your" mouse away!!! Dear Freeloader! "Our" mouse is actually paying a substantial amount of rent, via its Penticton cousins, who live quite comfortably in our crawl space. Each night they comb the patio for dropped crumbs and such so that we don't have to scour the bricks. Say "Hi" to Mickey from his Burns Street family! Cheers, Your Landlord! I'm sad as I bought Micky a new "house" filled with poison. Don't want to kill the little guy but....he's gotta go!!! Hi Mouse Trapper! In the snap you love, I'm wearing my Great White Hunter's cap! I'll come over to bag Mickey if you are squeamish or call Henning! Happy Hunting, Dad/Patrizzio!

We are going to drive out after work tomorrow and should be at your place around 9 PM. Hope that is OK. Wayne 

Hi Sarge! Absolutely delighted you'll be up on Thursday evening! As you know, we'll be celebrating Peter's 70th at Legend Distilling Inc., earlier on. I suspect we'll be back by around 10:00ish but here is the combo for the back door.

Not sure what your plans are for Friday but if you are barrel tasting at Black Widow you could ride up the KVR, almost to Hillside, as you know, of course. I did it and more, yesterday. Friend Gill, and I, had planned to road bike on Friday but I'm happy to join you depending on what you have in mind for the day.

Also need to know if you are staying overnight on Friday. Again, we'd love you to stay but just need to know so that we can decide where to put everyone. Let us know and we'll plan accordingly.
Must away as I've a few chores, assigned by my Harsh Task Mistress, to do before she returns from her regular Wednesday Flatlander walk and then boozy luncheon. Fondestos from Lady Dar, in absentia, to you and Flamin'! Cheers, Patrizzio!
Hi again Sarge! Give us a shout, (Lady Dar's cell), just as you hit town as I'm not sure how long dinner will last at Legend. If we are still there, fine, but I suspect we might head back to the Lighthall's, depending on timing, unless Lynne wants to go to bed! Or else, gang might come to our place in which case you could see people there. At any rate, you have been assigned the "real" bedroom so you can put your stuff in there if you come here first. Don't worry about VWF malt but thanks if it works. Cheers, Patrizzio! Will do.

Dearest Rosemary! Thank you so much for your lovely wishes. You and Andre were missed, and terribly so, especially since you would have been bedecked in one of your stunning new jackets! Curious to know about next venture "Freeloaders", Heather and JP, have in mind! I'm quite as skeptical as you!!!

Very sorry to hear about your on-going real-estate fiasco but, increasingly, this has become an extremely serious municipal and, indeed, provincial problem, (as you know from first-hand experience!),  and will certainly have increasingly negative, far-reaching repercussions, both financial and social, for the livibility of the city. While this issue has been burbling away for some time now, I never imagined it would reach such catastrophic proportions so quickly. I think Lady Dar and I are some of the fortunate few, making the decison to re-locate when and where we did. That being said, I honestly believe that we will see somewhat the same furious development and rise in property prices, in the not too, too distant future, given that the Okanagan is already such a highly sought after region. Until now, mainly for recreational purposes but, increasingly, as a place where housing prices are still "affordable" and one which offers a lifestyle that many wish! Don't work so hard! Buy here and you won't regret it! Fondestos from Lady Dar, to you, Rosemary. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dearest Favourite Brisbanites! Thank you so much for your lovely wishes, even though we celebrated our 50th by the time your message arrived, due to the time difference! You, Grogg, and the Lovely Claire, it goes without saying, were missed, and terribly so, especially since you would have had a chance to visit with many of Clan Sutherland, both old and new members! Not Flamin', however, as she was in Calgary for the weekend. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dearest Julia and Roving Ross! Thank you so much for coming to our bash, Julia! It was wonderful to see you and it goes without saying, you were missed, Ross, and terribly so, especially since you would have had a chance to tell all sorts of lies about me! . Hope to see you later this summer. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Dearest Favourite Tea Tree Gully People! Thank you so much for your lovely, lovely card and wishes even though some of the comments about Lady Dar were not terribly complimentary! You, Trevorino, and the Lovely, Spade-wielding Teens were very much missed. Cheers, Il Conduttore!

Hi Sarge! I just received a call from the VWF and I was informed I had won the bid, $250, on the The Scotch Malt Whisky Society bottle, donated by Dave Mason, chap we chatted with! I never expected my bid would last as it was valued at $340, I think, so didn't go back to see before we left. At any rate, I paid for it, over the phone, and was wondering if you might be able to collect it tomorrow, before you head up here. The office, 2nd floor of the building just behind Cat's, 1398 Cartwright St, (604) 681-6330), is open from about 9:30 am to 5:00 pm tomorrow. I gave your name but I'm sure if someone else needs to collect the bottle that would be fine as well. If you can't arrange this I'll ask Chloƫ to pick it up and bring it along when she is here in early June so don't worry overmuch, busy as you probably are. As well, let us know how long you will staying. Thanks and Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Portugal Cove People! Sarge, still waiting to hear about malt and length of stay! Joke above from Arv! Cheers, Patrizzio! Always. Yes. But not necessarily in that order!!!!

Thanks. We could join you for a drink when we arrive if that is OK. Reply to my RCMP account as I will probably not be on this one until we arrive. We will be going to Osoyoos on Friday.  Back up Saturday morning for the barrel tasting. I will see if I can get it tomorrow. Hi again Sarge! Give us a shout, (Lady Dar's cell), just as you hit town as I'm not sure how long dinner will last at Legend. If we are still there, fine, but I suspect we might head back to the Lighthall's, depending on timing, unless Lynne wants to go to bed! Or else, gang might come to our place in which case you could see people there. At any rate, you have been assigned the "real" bedroom so you can put your stuff in there if you come here first. Don't worry about VWF malt but thanks if it works. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Manitoba! Thanks very much, Rosita and Dusty, for the good wishes and very, very generous anniversary cheque! Lady Darleeing wants me to have the full amount, since I'm obviously your Favourite Son-in-Law! At any rate, very kind and thoughtful of you both, so thanks again!

Had a wonderful ride yesterday. (See below for blow-by-blow!), and then in the evening Spamela, Gilliana and Phillipo came over for bridge. We played out on the patio until it was too dark to see, [Our next project is to figure out lighting that will allow us to play comfortably without miner's lamps strapped to our foreheads!], and then moved inside for a few more rounds. Lots of interest from many in hiking/riding groups so think we'll be able to field two tables before long so looking forward to that, probably once back from Manitoba.

Lady Dar is getting her "Officiant" paperwork moving along nicely so she hopes to be able to perform a number of ceremonies, en route to Falcon, so that we don't have to Goldilocks our way across the country. [You might have to fill in the Steinabachians if they haven't heard the story!] We have been invited to celebrate Peter's 50th, tomorrow evening, at Legend Distilling Inc., not all that far from their place on Naramata Road.
Should be a blast!

Just found out that Flamin' and Sarge are to arrive at 9:00 pm that same evening so it will be wall-to-wall Freeloaders all weekend, as two other couples arrive on Friday. You know Zoe and Matt but I don't think you've met Judith and Rick. She is current President of Friends of VPL. She just phoned and their son, Josh, might be staying over on Friday night as well. Glad we have all the Murphy beds and foam mattress as not sure if F/S are overnighting on Friday as well! Anyway, should be loads of fun. If everyone gets really drunk they won't mind sleeping on the floor!

Must away as Lady Dar is off to her Book Club and I'm charged with making a salad. Fondestos and Cheers, to one and all, Patrizzio! Pics: Lady Dar relaxing. Please note her freshly painted fence!
Lady Dar with Gilliana, Spamela and Phillipo. Only bid Phillipo made over the entire evening, poor chap, 4 Spades. He started out, preemptively, with 3 and I put him to game. He made 5 as we had a great fit and he played flawlessly!

Hi Bob! Thanks so much for the lovely, lovely card and the terrific wine! We were both delighted that you could be at the bash to share the celebration with us.  We had a simply fabulous weekend so thank you for being a part of it. Thanks, as well, for sending along the "Attenzzzzzzione" snap! Much appreciated. As well, more thanks for the generous invitation to stay, at some point. We'd love to have the Royal Suite! Must away as I've a few chores, assigned by my Harsh Task Mistress, to do before she returns from her Book Club this evening. Fondestos from Lady Dar, in absentia, to you Bob. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Pat, Nice to get your message, which i just read. Oliver arrived this afternoon and is now asleep. Tomorrow is a big day - we are leaving for Seattle. Might drive around Mt Rainier with him too, before we head back across the border. Then we will go to see Ellie, before he heads home, 10 days later. Do come and stay sometime – i will sleep in the servants quarters and you can over with Corinne in the Great Hall of Snores. Best to you and Corinne. 

I checked with our neighbor and seems okay for you guys to drive down their driveway so you can get close to the wood piles. Just please let us know when you want to come and get some wood. I think it best to come during the day when they are at work so before 4.30. Bye for now, see you soon  cheers Gill


OK - things are starting to come into focus for July. We are scheduled to be in Kelowna on Sat the 23rd/Sunday the 24th. We will wend our way to Penticton on Monday the 25th and plan on driving home on Wed the 27th. See you at the Folk Fest. Cheers....Paul


Next Monday Kilian will lead us around Cartwright Mt. up from the subdivision at Cartwright Ave. in Summerland. So we will leave the IGA parking lot in Summerland at 9 am and Pentictonites can carpool at Home Hardware at 8:40 am. Coffee afterwards at the Beanery.  Pam
 







No comments:

Post a Comment