Thursday 20 October 2016

Day 35, Post-Op Kitchen Sink Blues: Thursday, October 20th!

Many people hear voices when no-one is there. Some of them are called mad and are shut up in rooms where they stare at the walls all day. Others are called writers and they do pretty much the same thing. -Margaret Chittenden, writer (1935- )


As mentioned in my last update. Patrick sent me a small sample of a cask strength whisky that had been finished for three years in a French oak raspberry port cask. Yesterday I gathered a small group of seven representing 35% ownership of our cask and we conducted a comparative tasting with a 200 ml sample extracted from our cask after 4 years.
 

Today is the 25th anniversary of the Oakland-Berkeley Hills Fire that destroyed 3,000 homes and cost 25 lives. It was the crucible which transformed our lives. Here is the Daily Cal article the commemorates the sad event. in peace, David


Chloe Alexis Dunn
Chloe Alexis Dunn David I remember as a kid having dad tell me about the fire and what you and Nancy went through, so glad you two were safe and have been able to stay there!! Love to you both on such a milestone of remembrance.
David Kessler
David Kessler Patrick James Dunn and Corinne Durston were so kind as to invite us into your home for a much needed away-from-it-all vacation as soon as we could reasonably get away. It was tonic. We are forever grateful!
Chloe Alexis Dunn Well you paid it forward in bread and pizza if I remember correctly!!! 😊

Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn It was only ever about the sandwiches! Just the sandwiches, Ma'am! Just the sandwiches!]

The results were unanimous. Our taste panel felt that our cask #188 tastes great just the way it is ( nicely balanced with hints of chocolate/ hazel nut flavour) The panel was unimpressed with the raspberry port finishing and felt it would not be worth the risk to try and finish our cask with this approach even for a 4-5 week time. I've conveyed this result to Patrick at Shelter Point. I still have a small amount of both samples remaining so any owner wishing to taste same should contact me and make arrangements to taste it perhaps while dropping off your cheques. Kevin
 

Hi Kevin, It's good to hear that your tasting panel enjoyed the sample. Patrick Dunn and I would very much like to taste it and drop off our cheque. Would you be around Friday, say about 4 PM or another time in the afternoon? Cheers,
Peter
Peter, Friday afternoon at 4:00 will be fine for you & patrick to drop by. Our condo is on Lakeshore, on the corner of Martin & Lakeshore. Kevin Kevin, Thanks, that will be great. See you at 4 Friday. Peter  Fabuloso! See you at Cinema Paradiso! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hi Brenda Louise! Not sure if you've seen this clip but I trust Picasso is not as foul-mouthed!

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=bb5_1456167794#OZjoiL3RR8PZZXcl.99 

Seem to managing well without Lady Dar, who is in Vancouver, volunteering at the VWF. Time to have a bite of brunch so must away. Hello and Fondestos to Picasso! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Next Monday Otto is going to lead us on a hike up from his place on Evergreen Crescent, Penticton. Here is his phone number. He has also kindly offered to provide "coffee, tea and cake" afterwards! How nice! We will meet at Home Hardware in Penticton at 9am and Summerlanders can carpool at 8:40am at IGA parking lot. I will be driving directly to Otto's place so you will have to figure out where Otto lives on your own.....Here it is on Google maps.

Hi Robertito! Trust you are well. Couple of snaps from bridge this past Tuesday. Gang are from hiking group I've joined. Hello to all the lads. Will see Peter this afternoon at cinema. Friday, we are having a taste of the single malt we've had aging in cask at Shelter Point. Hard to believe five years have passed since we placed order! From Kevin, chap here in Penticton, who has been managing venture. Hello to all the Bridge Lads! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Patrick James Dunn The game is called "a reunion of friends." The idea is to see who reads a post when it doesn’t include a photo. If no one reads my wall, this should be a short experiment, but if you’re reading this message, make a comment using a single word about how we met. Just a word, please, for example, a place, the name of the person who introduced us, etc. The game is to do it with * ONE WORD *. Then, copy this message on your wall and I’ll also leave you a word. Please, don't leave a word and then not bother copying... you will spoil the fun. Lynn Copeland library

Margareta Maunsbach
Nancy Mennel
Nancy Mennel Sandwiches
Chloe Alexis Dunn
Chloe Alexis Dunn
Kari Morton
Kari Morton Chloe!!!
Ron Simmer
Ron Simmer Legendary/epic xmas parties...Suzanne Broughton Halpenny Georgie
Dany Ward
Dany Ward Friends
Jennifer Gold
Jennifer Gold Chloe 💕!
Nao Bolliger-Hirano
Ruth Toews BasementBrenda McMorland UBC

Wayne Sutherland
Alan Waldron
Alan Waldron HotelKits!
Silvana Harwood
Ginette Bertrand
Ginette Bertrand ONE word Patrick? are you F _ _ _ _ _g kidding me: 1) I am a woman 2) I am French 3) I am a redhead 4) I never post and fwd on my wall so here it is anyway: YWG the first day I met you we were at some party and you were asking me about a Montreal street and asked me if I knew of "Beverly crescen" and I said yes I do not live far from it and Andrzej interjected and said "come on Patrick she does not know every girl in Montreal it is a big city" lol (sorry I can tell the story of how we met but rarely share and repost)
Penny Doorbar
Penny Doorbar Empress of England - like Ginette I don't paste on my wall - mainly cos I don't know how to!
Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn Blame Sarge, Duhlink! He was the one who started this nonsense and I was simply trying to be a good friend, only to be excoriated by one and all! lan Waldron Funny Patrick how you ask for one word but yet you bombard those who know you with about 3-4000 at a time almost daily!
Patrick James Dunn
Patrick James Dunn I'll deal with you later, Stanchion Man! Penny Doorbar Hear hear!
Penny Doorbar
Penny Doorbar Madcap says just before he list the will to live! Patrick James Dunn Take two Berocca and call me in the morning!

I thought to share this with my family members who are far from Berkeley and won't stumble across a copy of the Daily Californian in their movement through the world. 25th anniversary of the fire that transformed our lives-for the worse, but also for the better. Love to you all from us, Nancy and David

http://www.dailycal.org/2016/10/20/sky-east-bright-red/
 
Looks like lots of fun Patrick, to be surrounded by so many very nice ladies, good for you guys. Well, after returning from Calgary I was hoping to join you guys, but some unpleasant "bug" got to me ( it was miserably cold, and snowy in Calgary), so I didn't want to pass on this thing to anybody. But maybe next Tuesday, (any thoughts to change it to Wednesday's?) If you need additional player I shell gladly be available. Cheers, Mike I second Mike's suggestion. Isn't Tuesday cheap night at the movies?? I love movies and would enjoy attending the cinema on Tuesday night. Pam Webster 

You just read my mind Pam. Mariola and I we go quite regularly to the cinema for very cheep movies on Tuesday, particularly during winter. So here you go. Mike I'm fine with Wednesday nights would miss one a month for book club but I like freeing up Tuesday for the movies Corinne And if there are more movie enthusiast, we could have an outing together before a movie :-)Mike Dear Tuesday Film Enthusiasts! Very salient point, Michaelo! We could get together, earlier than first showing of a particular film and play bridge! Just kidding!!! I'm delighted to play any night of the week as long as the bridge prizes keep coming! Cheers, Patrizzio!

Wednesday nights are fine for me. I'd like to see the odd cheap movie too! Pam Hello movie lovers, I still have one or two tennis league Wednesdays , and after that I have no problem to play bridge on Wednesdays and enjoy the cheap movie nights as well, and Aart can join us, he loves cheap movies☺ Let me know what you like to do next week. Jos Let's keep it to Tuesday next week because Jos offered to host. We can deal with the following week next week...Big hugs and greetings to all you wonderful folks!!! I've missed you all and it's great to be back for awhile anyways as Craig and I leave for three weeks touring Peru starting Nov. 18th. Until then I am hoping that you kind people will have me back to bridge night which I you'd love Wed. night as much as Tuesday. I am so excited to join you this Tuesday and Jos thank you for having us. Can't wait; see you soon, Olly 👍
Hi Patrick, I hope by now you have been seen by the PT clinic, I assume that, since you mentioned riding your stationary bicycle in one of your massive missives. 30 minute stretches on the bike is a lot longer than most people at your stage of post op would be riding, so do be careful not to get overenthusiastic!

I saw Corinne tonight at the Crime Writers event, but she was on the other side of the audience and I didn't catch her on the way out, as I had lined up to get Peter Robinson to sign his book. I had him inscribe " To the former Constable Banks, best wishes from Peter Robinson". What a great guy, very much salt of the earth, what you see is what you get. I have read every last one of his books. The other 2 authors were also very good, although I haven't read theirs. Michael Koryta from the USA sounds like he would be a good read , for Ray anyway. I don't like them too gory or violent.
 

Anyway, Lonny P. was the moderator, and he did a masterful job. It went very smoothly and the questions asked were able to initiate very thoughtful answers from all three authors. I told him so after the session and he seemed quite pleased to have someone actually notice how difficult a job it is!!

The Alma Lee Opening night event was not so great. The first three little known authors, read excerpts from their books for about 15 mins each.... then over a half hour intermission, then the big names, Peter Robinson, Andre Alexis and Emma Donaghue got about a quick 10 minutes to read from theirs. No time for audience questions or any moderator questions.... really poor format. All in my party thought the same. We wrote that out in the feedback form! I just thought you would want to hear about it all, hot off the press! Cheers, Sylvia


Dear Alumnus (United College/ The Collegiate/ U of W), We still have $108,000 left to raise to complete the funding for Leatherdale Hall/Tony’s. As you know, this is an exciting new expansion on campus that is being built behind Wesley Hall. This new building will also bring back “Tony’s”, which was closed 10 years ago when more space was required for extra classrooms needed to accommodate the addition of Grades 9 & 10. 

Dean Bend of the Collegiate captured the essence of Old Tony’s when he wrote; “In times past, Tony’s was the central hub of life at The Collegiate. It was a place where students and faculty bonded and it was there that one could feel the spirit of The Collegiate.” Everyone agreed that Tony’s was an essential part of The Collegiate’s magic chemistry. It served as a gathering space for students, as well as faculty members - who were as much friends of the students, as they were their “teachers”!

The new building will bring the Collegiate facilities into the 21st century. It will also increase Collegiate classroom space, study space and enhance our campus for all faculty and students, along with the many community members who access the U of W/Collegiate campus - which continues to grow in all directions!

No comments:

Post a Comment