Wednesday 19 October 2016

Day 34, Post-Op Mary Lee Katerina Biking Blues: Wednesday, October 19th!

Life is mostly froth and bubble, / Two things stand like stone, / Kindness in another's trouble, / Courage in your own. -Adam Lindsay Gordon, poet (19 Oct 1833-1870)


This morning, another hiking friend, Mary Lee, popped by for a visit. She brought me a care package of apples, figs and a bottle of Bench 1775 Pinot Gris! (Glad Lady Dar is away so I can have it all to myself!) As we were chatting she happened to mention that she had attended a presentation at the Community Centre, here in town, involving guided cycling trips in Slovakia, Czech Republic Hungary and Poland. Immediately rang a bell as three years ago I found out about these from a friend who was a hiking friend of the organizer, Katarina Kostarova, who lives in Bardejov, Slovakia.

I was keen to join two of the two week trips, through Slovakia and the Czech Republic, but then we moved to Penticton in May of last year and June was just too too soon, plus we wanted to attend Durston's 70th! Same this year, with respect to 71st wedding anniversary. However, next year, friends, Calamity Jane, [Her friend, Perrry, is Katarina's friend!], and Whirlygig will be traveling, in Asia and Europe, for about eight months. [Calamity will be on sabbatical, (She is an elementary school teacher in Vancouver and banked 20% of her yearly salary for past five years to pay for year off.), and Giorgio is already retired, living on Galiano Island.] They would like us to join them for a month or so, when in Europe, and since they plan to cycle wherever they can, this fits in perfectly. Lady Dar would probably not wish to ride but is keen to meet somewhere and/or travel by train/bus. 

At any rate, I asked Mary Lee to ask her friend, Liz, to call me. Liz and James, her husband, are Katarina's hosts while she in in Penticton until this coming Sunday. Both of them have been on her cycling trips through Slovakia, the Czech Republic and Poland, new last year, from what I understand. Gather Hungary is the newest addition to tour list. A few minutes ago, Liz called, and she and Katarina will pop by this evening! What a small world. I'm still shaking my head!

Quite excited about the prospects of returning to Europe as we've not been there since 2013 when we did a house exchange in Cornwall, for a month, after which Lady Dar went to Italy for three weeks, with her Book Club, and I rented a fantastic place in a tiny hillside village, Neffiès, in the south of France,
Languedoc-Roussillon region, about 45 km west of Montpellier. Only about three hours from Neffiès to Barcelona so extremely well situated for getting to Spain! 


She joined me for last week I had house before we met Flamin' and Sarge, and two other couples, for two weeks on a boat on the Canal de Garonne. Once that was over we stayed with friends, Rosemary and Andre, who have a fabulous place about two hours southeast of Lyon. (I left my bike with them, ready for next trip!) Funnily enough, they will be visiting in early November as Andre is originally from Vancouver, while Rosemary is British.

Must away as it is time for stationary bike. After 30 minutes I will take a break to vacuum the dirt that Etta and Duke managed to spill around the three potted Mandevilla plants we have "wintering" in the Rumpus Room! Know Destructo
Cats will race outside once I turn on the vacuum! Still, I know they will be back, if not, just another visit to the SPCA. Cheers, Mean Streets Patrizzio! Pics: Mary Lee with Duke; presents for patient; Encounters of the pooch kind; Halloween Cat!


Patrizo - good to hear that you got on the bike and it went well...its only a matter of time before you will be tearing up the roadways again! Although I have some cabin fever, I am going into the access center on Thursday to do my usual volunteering so I cannot make the movie. Sounds like an interesting film though. Boise had a little art house movie theatre that was actually a hub for all the literary types. I used to go regularly just to dumb down the overall atmosphere....they let me in anyway. The evening show won't work also because Nancy and I have some other plans...but thanks for thinking of me dude! Just got done with a small walk and saw Pam...makes me miss the ole farts (but i WILL be back with them soon enough). Stuck my head in Peach City runners and briefly looked at snowshoes....maybe I'm jumping the gun there (although there is some small snow already at Apex). Well take care dude! Talk soon

Hi Guillermo! Sorry you won't be joining me at film but certainly understand. I recommend snow-shoes but depending on what you wish to pay, take a look at Costco, (if in stock this year), as that is where I picked up my pair and am extremely happy with them, given my level of ability, etc. Think they were about $85 a year ago.
 
Was in the process of turning off the coverage of the Presidential debate when doorbell rang and it was Katarina and her hosts. Lovely people, all of them and over a bottle of Clos du Soleil, (Keremeos), 2013 Célestiale, their Bordeaux blend, (41% Cabernet Sauvignon, 39% Merlot, 15% Cabernet Franc, 3% Petit Verdot, 2% Malbec), 13.9 %, a tasty enough drop, we had a grand time visiting, getting to know one another and talking about coming cycling/hiking trips. Nothing is set in stone yet but, for my part, I'm definitely interested in riding in Hungary in mid-to-late May. [Perhaps other countries, as well, depending on other travel plans.] Tentative date, until Katarina has sorted out a some important details, (number of people interested in which countries, in which activities and in which months over the summer), when she is back in  Slovakia.

In the meantime, I will be in touch with Calamity and Whirlygig to see what their travel plans might be. I know that Mary Lee is also very interested in doing one or more of the trips. As with everything, a matter of timing, finances and other commitments. Time to put another log on the fire so must away. Hello and Fondesos to Nancita. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Pics: Mary Lee drinking lemon water; Mary Lee with Duke; presents for patient; Liz, Katarina and James; First Etta and then Duke, heading for Slovakia!

Hi Patricio, I was coming, and arrived home last evening. It’s good to be home after the long travel from the land of lemurs. I picked up Bushmills sherry cask finished at Heathrow. See you soon. Cheers, Peter

[Nao in San Francisco!] Hi Jugos! Welcome home! Irish Whiskey and Bushmills to boot! What is the world coming to? Speaking of which, should we send Kevin a message and say that we are interested in tasting a snort of what he has left of the two samples!? I'm pretty free in terms of timing. Going to see The Dressmaker tomorrow at 4:00 pm, part of Kitchen Stove Series. Are you and Lynne going? If so, perhaps we could dovetail film with a tasting. Friday is open except for a brief doctor's appointment, (referral), at 10;15 am. Saturday I'm off to Kelowna to attend a Flin Flon reunion where I hope to connect with the cousin of a childhood friend from Cyprus days. At any rate, let me know and we'll plan accordingly. Cheers, Patrizzio!

Hello Salish/Sabbatical People! [Cc Folk: Have included you in case you might be interested!] Trust you are both well. Hello and Fondesos to Morita. Cheers, Patrizzio!


Hi Liz, Katerina and James! Wonderful to meet everyone and have such a great visit. I trust we'll be in touch and work on getting together again, Liz/James, here in Penticton, and work out details of cycling trip when you know more, Katerina. Etta and Duke miss you terribly! They have packed their bags and are waiting on the front doorstep! Cheers, Patrizzio! Pics: Mary Lee drinking her fresh lemon infusion; trying to kidnap Duke; cycling fiends; Catnappers en route to Slovakia!

No comments:

Post a Comment